Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat 9 dynamic stamp customized transfer from previous version

Jul 13, 2012 11:50 AM

client of mine made a custom dynamic stamp and they can get it set up fine (dynamic field inserted in the stamp) and in the correct folder where it pulls the other stamps, but it is not finding it in the stamp list in the program, is what they've told me. This was functioning properly in our old computer when they were an earlier version of Acrobat. I want to know how I can get it to show up. The custom stamp I believe is a jpg cause it was created in photoshop.

Replies
  • Thom Parker
    216 posts
    Jul 16, 2003
    Jul 13, 2012 2:30 PM   in reply to SmileyTech

I'm confused, you say they created a dynamic stamp by inserting a field into an existing stamp, but then you say that it was functioning on your old computer. So did they create the stamp or did they copy it from your old computer?

And by the "stamp list" do you mean all stamps? or just the one that they created?

The image the stamp was created from is not important. For a stamp to be recognized by Acrobat it has to be in a properly formatted stamp file, in the correct location.

Thom Parker

The Acrobat JavaScript Reference, Use it Early and Often

Then most important JavaScript Development tool in Acrobat
    The Console Window (Video tutorial)
    The Console Window(article)

Having trouble, Why Doesn't my Script Work?

[ Edited by forums host - links to paid content removed ]

|
    Mark as:
  • Thom Parker
    216 posts
    Jul 16, 2003
    Jul 16, 2012 12:24 PM   in reply to SmileyTech

The Acrobat/Reader stamp file specification has not changed sinced Acrobat/Reader 6. So if the stamped worked in an earlier verion it will work in Acrobat 9 and later as well. Since she recreated the stamp it is very likely that she did something different, because it sounds like the stamp was made incorrectly.

Not all pages in the stamp file are stamps. Stamp pages are marked in a special way. You typically make a dynamic stamp by first creating a static stamp, and then manually modifying that static stamp. So, did she create a static stamp first? and does this static stamp show up where it should on the stamp menus? This is the starting point for a dynamic stamp, and the first thing that should be checked before adding dynamic features to the stamp file. See the link below for the "All About PDF Stamps" book. You'll find everything you need to know about creating stamps there.

BTW: it is not a good idea to add new custom stamps to the built-in stamps, and especially if it means editing the original built-in dynamic stamp file. It is much better to create your own stamp categories.

You also need to restart Acrobat after creating the dynamic stamp file.

Thom Parker
    The source for PDF Scripting Info pdfscripting.com

All About PDF Stamps in Acrobat and Paperless Workflows - THE BOOK!

The Acrobat JavaScript Reference, Use it Early and Often

Then most important JavaScript Development tool in Acrobat
    The Console Window (Video tutorial)
    The Console Window(article)

Having trouble, Why Doesn't my Script Work?

|
    Mark as:
  • Thom Parker
    216 posts
    Jul 16, 2003
    Jul 17, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to SmileyTech

You cannot simply add a page to a stamp file and have it show up as a stamp. It doesn't work that way. And it has nothing to do with the operating system or the version of Acrobat. I know, I wrote the book.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points