Skip navigation
Uh_Clem2K
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Reader 10.1.3 crashes on open?

Jul 13, 2012 12:15 PM

Tags: #error #10.1.3 #crash_on_loading

Has anyone found a cause for frequent Adobe Reader crashes with version 10.1.3 on a Mac with OS X 10.6.8?

The issue has been reported in the Acrobat forum but I haven't seen it mentioned here.

For me, the problem occurs about every third time I try to open a file --  sometimes it will occur five times in a row and sometimes I can open several files before the problem recurs.  It almost always happens just after the Adobe splash screen goes away and the file starts to load.  Sometimes I will see the first page of the document before the spinning beach ball of doom indicates that things are about to go horribly wrong.  When I try to reopen the file that caused the crash, it usually opens the second time.  Neither file size nor content seem to be a factor.

The crash report (as with everyone else's who's reported the problem) shows:

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)

Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000007

The system log refers to a segmentation fault.

Reader never gets far enough to issue its own error message.

On this computer, I have been using every release of Adobe Reader since version 9-something without incident -- up to, and including, 10.1.2.  Reinstalling has not solved the problem.  It just seems that 10.1.3 wasn't so much "released" as that it escaped prematurely.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 13, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to Uh_Clem2K

I don't have that issue with an up to date Mac OS X.7.4. Try a new user. If it works, then you have a corrupted preference file. If it still doesn't work then get the Onyx utility. Have it remove all your cache's, then restart and see if that helps.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points