Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cropping Non-Square Pictures

Jul 13, 2012 11:03 PM

Tags: #crop #picture #square #cropping #squared #non

I have this image of a piece of bread. As you can see there is white area around the bread. I want to get rid of this (i.e. crop it out) so that when I import it into another program (mainly After Effects) all that can be seen is the bread and no white space on the outside. Is there a way to do this?

topppp.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 13, 2012 11:27 PM   in reply to kjamesuvic

1.— Double-click on the background layer to turn it into a regular, unlocked layer.

2.— Select the white background around the layer.  In this very simple example, the Magic Wand Tool and/or the Quick Select Tools will work fine.

3.— Hit the Delete (Backspace) key.

4.— Save your image as a PSD, TIFF, PNG or GiF.  Other formats like JPEG do not support transparency; they would simply add the white pixels back in..

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 12:52 AM   in reply to kjamesuvic

kjamesuvic-

another method is extracting the toast from the background. 

this is a simple link and tutorial:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WS2bacbdf8d487e582-37ff 79af12b3b577ca2-8000.html

-janelle

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to kjamesuvic

You have some of the methods, and especially Station_Two's (simple, but exactly what you need in that example) method, it should get you the Transparency around the "bread." Be sure to Save_As a format, that support Transparency. If you use something like JPEG, you WILL get that white area back.

One thing for next time:

"Crop" is a process for removing area within the Aspect Ratio of the image. It will always be done in a rectangular fashion. What you are looking to do is most often referred to as a "Knockout," where you are separating the subject from some background (taking that to Transparent), but not affecting the size of the Image.

Crop_Knockout.png

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to kjamesuvic

Great news and happy editing.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This