Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Button routing and numbering

Jul 16, 2012 12:34 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2012 12:34 AM   in reply to Community Help

Routing menu buttons is covered in this Encore CS6 tutorial video on the InfiniteSkills blog: http://infiniteskills.com/blog/2012/07/adobe-encore-cs6-tutorial-routi ng-buttons/

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 3:15 PM   in reply to Community Help

I've got a problem I need help with...

I am using Adobe CS6 and in Encore I set the number buttons in the correct order I want them and then I save it. I have gone to Preferences > Menus and made sure that Encore won't automatically route the buttons and I've also un-ticked the 'route buttons automatically' box in each menus property window. For some reason though, every time I edit the menu in Photoshop (through Adobe Dynamic Link), after I save the changes and go back to Encore, the button numbering has changed and the numbers are not in the correct order I set them.

Anyone have any ideas why? Is there a setting I'm missing or is this an error with the software?

Thanks in advance for your help.

JTR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 6:20 PM   in reply to Jonathan TR

Quick test here, and I can't get the numbers to change in a simple menu.

What are you changing and how do the numbers change?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 6:43 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Hey Stan,

Screen shot 2012-12-31 at 12.22.49 PM.pngyou have to select abutton and then in the Properties window under the Basic tab, it says number and you can select what number button you want it to be. I have numbered my buttons how I want them, but after I edit the menu in Photoshop, the numbers are messed up. And therefore the default button won't be the one Iwant as button one won't be the correct button....if that makes sense.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 5:53 AM   in reply to Jonathan TR

Jonathan TR wrote:

For some reason though, every time I edit the menu in Photoshop (through Adobe Dynamic Link), after I save the changes and go back to Encore, the button numbering has changed and the numbers are not in the correct order I set them.

I've seen this behavior. Once. The only reason I remember it is that it happened just a few days ago, Encore cs6 on a win7 machine. That menu had 11 buttons, so this was frustrating (and boring) to have set them twice in one day. What's really frustrating about it is that Encore seems to want to number from the lower right corner going up and to the left, while I want to start at the upper left corner and go down and right -- you know, like I read.

But like I said, I've only seen it once, so I've been unable to pin point a cause. Sorry to not be able to provide much help, but I did want to let you know you aren't completely crazy. ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to cfg_2451

I gave up on my response last night, and don't have enough time today either.

I have not tested on CS6.

The order of the layers (as you would see them in photoshop, starting with the bottom-most button layer) determine the Encore initial button numbers. However, moving the layers or renumbering the buttons does not seem to change that. And photoshop has no way to directly effect what Encore is (or is not doing) to number buttons.

There's a long thread on this in the encore forum that I'll try to find. But all I recall is that it did not behave the way some of us thought it did.

Also, button routing etc does not directly effect the button numbering. It uses the numbering, but it will happily move from button x to button y based on its routing rules, or will leave  your routing alone if automatic is not selected.

My recommendation is to create your menu in Photoshop (or, as I do, modify an Encore library menu), set your layer order there, with your button 1 layer group as the layer right above the background layer and so on. Then import that menu to your Encore project. do not change the button  numbering. Let us know.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points