Skip navigation
andy.schoonmaker
Currently Being Moderated

Problem selecting objects

Jul 16, 2012 2:47 PM

Tags: #path #select #objects

I have been having a problem selecting objects in Illustrator. I am only able to select boxes and type by clicking directly on the path with both the selection and direct selection tool. Normally I can select  text by clicking anywhere on it. I have checked my selection preferences and have the "Object Selection by Path Only" box turned off. I'm not sure what  would be causing his problem.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to andy.schoonmaker

Andy,

If the View dropdown shows Show Edges and/or Show Bounding Box, you may tick both/either (so that they turn into Hide Edges and Hide Bounding Box instead).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 4:42 PM   in reply to andy.schoonmaker

In Selection & Anchor Display prefs, deselect (uncheck) Object Selection by Path Only.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 9:38 AM   in reply to andy.schoonmaker

The previous posts should solve your problem.

If not, what version of Illustrator are you using? Older versions had a preference called area select I believe in general preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to andy.schoonmaker

I think you may have to try what I'm about to try - resetting the Prefs - delete the Preferences folder and let Illustrator rebuild it when you restart it.

I can't get the Arrange commands to run - only thing I can think to try is resetting the Preferences...it usually clears up strange glitches like yours and mine.

[edit: Well resetting the Preferences did nothing for me. Hope you found a solution to your problem]

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points