Skip navigation
paulatdeakin
Currently Being Moderated

Why does Acrobat allocate more width for spaces than for alphanumeric characters?

Jul 16, 2012 9:17 PM

When I convert a text file to PDF using Acrobat X Pro, I select a fixed-width font.  However, it appears that Acrobat allocates a greater width for space characters in the text file, than it does for alphanumeric characters in the text file.  How do I instruct Acrobat to use exactly the same width for all the characters, both spaces and visible characters?

This question is actually a re-write of my previous post titled, ‘Bulk Convert Text to PDF with Acrobat’.  I know what the problem is now but do not how to fix it.

Here's a mock example of the content of a text file.  In the resulting PDF, the H no longer lies directly under the G.  I chose Courier New 8 pt for the font.

ABCDEFG    ABCDEFG    ABCDEFG    ABCDEFG    ABCDEFG    ABCDEFG

H          H          H          H          H          H

Any suggestion will be appreciated.  Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 17, 2012 1:58 AM   in reply to paulatdeakin

Check your fonts in the PDF to be sure you have a fixed font used that is embedded. I just did it in NotePad with AA9 and the results looked fine with an embedded Courier.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 4:44 AM   in reply to Bill@VT

This ties in with another post. The conversion is Create PDF > From File > Text. Settings in HTML conversion for Courier New. I can confirm, the effect varies with the point size but is consistent.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 12:27 AM   in reply to paulatdeakin

I would recommend printing the text file from Notepad to Adobe PDF printer. That should get everthing rightly aligned.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to paulatdeakin

Generally the embedding is done at the time of creation. If you use the print or press job settings, most fonts will be embedded unless they are not licensed for embedding. The Std job settings does not embed several fonts and that may be your problem. If you want to embed the fonts, there is a preflight script for doing that. In my test, I printed from Notepad.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 9:34 PM   in reply to paulatdeakin

If you are comfortable with the settings in the printing, then go back to the PDF Maker settings (create PDF preferences in WORD) and adjust the preferences for similar performance, at least in the job settings and such. The rest deals with how much you want the bookmarks and such.

I am assuming that those PDF Maker preferences set in WORD are retained when you run the conversion from Acrobat that I have the impression you are doing. Other than that, check the conversion settings in Acrobat itself. They are in the preferences. If you the printer preferences are used when converting from Text (you will have to try to see what happens), it would use the default preferences of the printer, not those set in the print menu of an application. The latter only last as long as that application is open and only for that application. For your need, you may need to change them in either the printer (Start>Printers.. in windows) or Distiller, or both. The printer overrides the Distiller settings usually (another setting on this).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 10:41 PM   in reply to paulatdeakin

When printing, the layout is specified by the application that is printing. It shows you the content and prints exactly what it shows you.

When directly converting, Acrobat's internal engine does the conversion which does not know your intent very well. For a typcial text file, it needs to relayout the text to suite the paper size and font it has in its default. It does a good job of relayouting the text for most text->pdf conversions but isn't really optimzied to handle/predict such  fixed formatting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to paulatdeakin

Im trying the same

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers