Skip navigation
IvyLeafLA
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS6 Hyperlinks palette is blank, how do I change this?

Jul 17, 2012 12:45 PM

Tags: #hyperlinks #indesigncs6

I'm working in InDesign CS6 on a new Mac Powerbook.

I created hyperlinks in an InDesign CS3 document (last year) which I brought into CS6 today.

My hyperlinks do not apear in the control panel (as a list), but I see the highlighted links in the document and they are active when I save to pdf.

I'm including one additional comment - even though I marked the hyperlinks with invisible boxes, I'm still seeing outlines around the links.

I'm hoping once I have the panel with the list of links I can adjust the look on the page, too.

Is there a way to set the control panel back to a default setting?

Merci beaucoup!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 17, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to IvyLeafLA

I just tested with InDesign CS3, created a few hyperlinks, opened the file in CS6 and all the hyperlinks are still there. No problem.
    How did you open the CS3 file? Did you use the INX export format for exchange?

Can you provide a sample document for downloading?

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
  • Zinusmero
    29 posts
    Apr 3, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 23, 2012 11:36 PM   in reply to IvyLeafLA

I have the same problem. Tried resetting my preferences but it hasnt helped.

Solved It!!

Seems like my workspace profile was corrupt. I changed from my personalised profile to "Interactive for PDF" ( which has the Hyperlinks panel) and it worked. All the Hyperlinks and cross-references show.

Now i am going to rebuild and save my profile

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to IvyLeafLA

I had the same issue with my Hyperlinks palette -- very frustrating -- but the solution does not require trashing (and laboriously rebuilding) your profile. 

Open the drop-down menu on the Hyperlinks palette (as you would to "Edit Hyperlink") and click "Small Panel Rows" at the very bottom.  The Hyperlinks section should reappear. 

It took me 2 hours and 3 times rebuilding my profile before I tried that out of desperation

Now I'd like to know exactly how to get rid of the "Cross-References" section of that palette. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 7:09 PM   in reply to JHaydon65

I've tried both toggling the "Small Panel Rows" suggestion AND changing my workspace to the "Interactive for PDF" one but neither solution worked for me. I've also exported my file to .idml, opened it in CS5 (where all the hyperlinks DO show in the palette), Saved As a different name which I opened in CS6 and ... no hyperlinks in the palette. I've tried trashing every preference file I can get my hands on but none of them helped. Of course, I'm on Mac OS X 10.8.4 so just *finding* the pref files took me ages. Oh - and I also went back into Time Machine and replaced my workspace prefs from before I started having the problem.

I'm with JHaydon65 - I'd like to get rid of the Cross-Reference part of the palette too, especially if I can ever get the hyperlinks portion back. I really don't want to have to go through this again. Any suggestions gratefully accepted. TIA!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 7:49 AM   in reply to savladai

For directions on how to trash the ID prefs, see Replace Your Preferences

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 10:35 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thanks for the suggestion, Peter but I've already seen that April 2012 post 2-3 times and I cannot follow its instructions because the prefs files are no longer where indicated in that post. Either Apple or Adobe (never sure just who is the culprit in these things) has changed where the prefs are and I simply cannot find them. To reiterate, I'm on Mac OS X 10.8.4 using InD CS6. I can find the CS5 prefs exactly where that April 2012 post says they should be but NOT CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to savladai

Are you showing hidden files when you look? In any case, the keyboard method will still work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 12:01 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yes, I've gotten into the Library folder, no problem. It's just that the CS6 prefs files are not there, only the ones for CS5.

Screen Shot 2013-06-17 at 5.39.23 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 12:32 PM   in reply to savladai

Scroll down the page a little further until you see the InDesign folder, then open it and look for your version.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 12:46 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Would love to do that, Peter, but there isn't one, as you can see in this screen dump. The ONLY InD file in this folder is at the top of the graphic. I have looked EVERYWHERE in the Library folder that looks even remotely connected to Adobe and/or InD but simply cannot find the prefs. I've replaced every silly little file that I *have* found but none of them get me back the hyperlinks. Believe me, I would LOVE to delete the prefs, since I don't really have that many specialized things set but I simply cannot find them.

Screen Shot 2013-06-18 at 12.42.56 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 12:48 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Further note - I'd prefer not to use the keyboard method in case I lose something which I can't recover from a backup because I don't know where the backup might be. :>)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 1:01 PM   in reply to IvyLeafLA

I found a post about this problem on Indesign Secrets blog.

http://indesignsecrets.com/how-to-mess-up-your-hyperlinks-panel.php

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 1:40 PM   in reply to IvyLeafLA

Thanks IvyLeafLA. My concern is that if I can't find where the pref/default/whatever-their-new-name-is files *are*, then I can't replace them from my TM backup. That's my biggest problem. I've read every reference page I could find or has been mentioned but none of them get me to where *my* prefs/defaults/etc files are hiding, so I'm concerned about using the keyboard command. I don't *think* I've added anything exceptional to my setup but one never really knows. For example, I'd hate to lose all my saved text find/replace items or my printer export options.

I've already deleted the InDesign Defaults file found in Users>username>Library>Preferences>Adobe InDesign>version 8.0>en_US but still had no hyperlinks in the palette. I am getting SO frustrated. Someone on one of my e-mail lists said that Adobe just hates us all and I'm beginning to agree. :>)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to savladai

Hmmm, I don't see a folder either in your screen shot. I'm a Windows user so I don't have a way to locate the files for you, but you could try a spotlight search for InDesign Defaults and InDesign SavedData. If you can locate them, let me know the new paths and I'll update the repalce the prefs link, or if anyone already knows (my Mac sources haven't been real helpful here) please speak up.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 2:29 PM   in reply to IvyLeafLA

I don't run CS6 from the cloud, and I'm on Windows, so my paths won't be much help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 3:34 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I've been searching and searching every way I can think of and *did* come up with the location of the InD Defaults and SavedData files. I've removed them and restarted InD. I've overwritten them from my Time Machine backups from before the problem started. I've sworn at them ;>). I've done everything I can think of but still can't get the hyperlinks back. I'll have another go at trashing them and rebooting InD and report back.

In the meantime, for future reference, the InD Default file is at the path described in post 17 of this thread and the SavedData file is at Users>username>Library>Caches>Adobe InDesign>version 8.0>en_US

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 3:43 PM   in reply to savladai

Those are the paths listed in the replace your prefs link.....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 3:43 PM   in reply to savladai

Well I'll be darned. It worked!! I don't know what could have been different this time from when I deleted them before but at least now I have the hyperlinks back AND I still have my saved Find/Replace stuff. Haven't checked anything else yet.

I'm wondering if perhaps they both have to be trashed *at the same time* in order for it to work. I think it's likely that I did them one at a time before.

Thanks so much for all the input, everyone. I guess the secret to this business is to not just try something once but to keep trying until it works. Gotta love computers! :>)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 6:37 AM   in reply to IvyLeafLA

Just to mention this, because I had this issue today on my ID CS6 after the Adobe Updater installed a new version of DPS. For my case, it helped to switch the working space and to rebuild my former one.

@Peter Spier: the key combination Ctrl+Alt+Shift does not effect anything on CS6. Perhaps it was removed after CS4.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 7:26 AM   in reply to Doc Maik

The keyboard shorcuts still work in CS6 exactly the same (Ctrl + Alt + Shift on Windows, Cmd + Control + Opt + Shift on Mac), but you have to be blindingly fast.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 7:37 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Why? ID takes about 1min. to start the first time a day, then about 10s. Not enough time before the UI appears?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 7:44 AM   in reply to Doc Maik

Why? Because....

I suppose that ID needs to get the message from the keyboard shortcut before it actually starts to load the existing preferences, but I didn't write the program so that's just a wild guess. Asking why you need to be fast with the keyboard to replace the prefs is like asking why the sky i s blue. It doesn't really matter in this context, it just "is."

And the difficulty in being fast enough is one of the reasons for explaining how to do the job manually.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 8:13 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

You are right, it needs to be pressed right from the start. That's why pressing the key before you start ID does not require me to be blindingly fast.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 8:22 AM   in reply to Doc Maik

Holding the keys down first seems to be highly dependent on the version of ID and the OS. Hasn't worked for me on Windows in quite a few years.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Works on Windows 7 when starting from Start menu.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points