Skip navigation
lucasjballasy
Currently Being Moderated

I need to design (on a mac) several PDFs with dynamic, fillable forms that can be used on both mac a

Jul 19, 2012 8:23 AM

Tags: #help #design #pdf #mac #dynamic #forms #pc #fillable

I need to design (on a mac) several PDFs with dynamic, fillable forms that can be used on both mac and PC. The focus is on design. What program can I achieve this with?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 19, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to lucasjballasy

This could be done both in InDesign CS6 (the latest version), which now has the capability for creating forms, or in Acrobat Pro. InDesign would have the easiest interface to use, but, if you don't know it already, it would require you to learn to use a reasonably complex and powerful application to do a good job.

If you're not an InDesign user, I'd suggest creating a form in Microsoft Word and using the Forms Wizard (the name varies depending on your version of Acrobat) to convert as much as you can into an interactive form. You'll need to clean it up and edit it further in Acrobat.

You can find tutorials if you do a Google search on "Acrobat form wizard"

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,661 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 19, 2012 9:26 AM   in reply to lucasjballasy

I often use InDesign to create the source document that I then export to PDF. I then add the interactive form fields in Acrobat. The latest version of InDesign allows you to create the fields in InDesign. You can further refine them in Acrobat if needed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to lucasjballasy

What exactly do you mean by 'Dynamic'? If you need fields that resize to fit the text entered, or to be able to add multiple 'line items' (as in an invoice) without limit, then the only way to accomplish that is using LiveCycle, which is a PC only application and not available on Mac. Acrobat can only create static PDFs. You can hide/show a field as well as change it's size and position using Javascript, but a truly dynamic form requires LiveCycle.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 8:04 AM   in reply to lucasjballasy

LiveCycle is a PC Only application, but it comes with the purchase of Acrobat Professional on PC.

You can create a form within LiveCycle from an existing PDF created from another application, but it will not be a fully dynamic PDF. To create a fully dynamic PDF which allows fields and sections to resize, and adjust the rest of the content, the form must be created completely within LiveCycle. This is why I asked what exactly you mean by 'Dynamic' - depending on what your needs are (what you mean by 'dynamic'), you may be able to create the form in InDesign, or your needs may require it to be done within LiveCycle.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to lucasjballasy

Yes, you will need to use LiveCycle to achieve that, and from what I understand, you cannot start with a PDF created from InDesign, you would have to create the form completely within LiveCycle.

I am not too familiar with LiveCycle either, haven't had the chance to really get to use it much other than a brief tryout. I just checked, and there is an 'Embed Fonts' option when saving the file, so I'm assuming this would work, assuming you have the fonts that you need available on the PC.

BTW, there is a LiveCycle specific forum that you can ask questions

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points