Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Windows Folders Not Listed in Import Screen.

Jul 19, 2012 9:31 AM

I am working with LR 4.1 in WIndows 7 64 Bit. I have an external drive with many folders that contain multiple photos. The drive is listed in the import screen but none of the folders are shown and cannot be opened. I have checked show hidden files with no success.  I can open and view the folders and files in ACR, Bridge and CS5. I have attempted  to drag the folders to LR Grid from Explorer.  When I do this it appears that the folder is moved and then the import screen opens. However, the folders or files are not listed ! I have moved a test folder from the drive to a differnt drive and try to import , but the folder is still not listed. What is unique in the folders that blocks them?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 19, 2012 10:56 AM   in reply to BoatMan99

Apologies if this comes across as a really dumb question, but you have clicked on the drive entry on the Import Screen (so that the dark arrow to the left of the drive points down to reveal the folder structure)?

If it's not that, perhaps you can post a screenshot of your Import Screen so that we can try figure out what's going wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 11:44 AM   in reply to BoatMan99

What about your system drive? Does that show the root folders when you expand it?

Do you have "Include Subfolders" checked?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 11:58 AM   in reply to BoatMan99

This is a known bug, caused by, believe it or not, having too many icons on your desktop. You can either clean them up, or just type the disk address you need in the text box at the bottom of the offending dialogue box.

Doing the latter seems to not only be a work-around, but a real cure.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 12:14 PM   in reply to Hal P Anderson

Not sure about that, Hal.....I've never heard of that bug affecting the drives view in the Import Panel, especially as the external drive is apparently listed in this case. Normally with that bug it only occurs in a file browser window, and prevents any external drives from being listed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to Jim Wilde

Jim,

Whoops. I didn't read the OP's post carefully enough. He wasn't where I thought he was.:(

What do you reckon? Time to delete the Prefs file?

http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?14226-Resetting-%28or-Tr ashing-%29-the-Lightroom-Preferences-file

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to BoatMan99

By system drive, I mean the drive (typically C:) on which the OS is installed. In the absence of a screenshot I just trying to establish exactly what does work properly, and what doesn't.

There is no checkbox on the Import screen for "Show Hidden Files"....that's a setting in the View Options of Explorer, which is what I thought you meant. I'll take it that you really mean that you have checked "Include Subfolders".

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to Hal P Anderson

Yes Hal, it's beginning to look that way. Can't hurt to try it....

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 2:15 PM   in reply to BoatMan99

No the location of the Preferences files hasn't changed, however if you have the setting "Store Presets with Catalog" checked in your Preferences, that could explain why you can't find it. Did you try the other method for locating your Preferences file which we included in that document...."open the Start menu and type '%appdata%\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences' (without the quotes) in the Start menu search box".

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 11:08 PM   in reply to BoatMan99

In which case I'm not sure what's going on. A screenshot of the Import Screen alongside an Explorer view of the drive's actual folder structure may give us a clue....

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to BoatMan99

Are there any unusual characters in the folder names or in the parent folder's name? Symbols, punctuation marks of whatever kind need some care and caution. Extended characters for non-latin letters and accented letters should be OK, though, as far as I know (Unicode).

The following are reserved system names: CON, PRN, AUX, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, and LPT9

and apparently ending a name with a dot (period) or a space is not a good idea. So perhaps completely re-typing a trial folder name just to check there are no weird control characters, may do no harm?

[edit: also I would check whether the full folder and file path, including everything, is very long - for example, > 260 characters.]

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 1:07 PM   in reply to BoatMan99

You need to click on the camera icon at the top of the reply box, then browse to and select your screenshot files and they will be inserted. See this screenshot:

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 2:45 PM   in reply to BoatMan99

Thanks, but the screenshot of the Import Screen as shown doesn't really help. Can you collapse the C drive so that we can see the H drive in the left-hand column, then retake and pst another screenshot.

What kind of phone have you got connected there? Have you tried importing with that phone disconnected?

EDIT: Ok, thanks for the amended screenshot.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 2:49 PM   in reply to BoatMan99

Well, I can't see anything wrong with that drive, so I'm struggling to understand what's going on here. I'd be interested in knowing what happens if you disconnect that phone (I vaguely recall some import problems a while back that were attributed to having a smartphone connected).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to BoatMan99

OK, well I'm pretty well stumped on this. Last thing to check.....have a look at the properties (General Tab) for the top level folders on the H drive to make sure that they're aren't specified as "Hidden". Lightroom cannot see 'hidden' folders.

And what happens with all those other drives....can Lightroom see the folders on those, or do they also show the same problem?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points