Skip navigation
TimLMun
Currently Being Moderated

Setting the default topic - publishing from FM to Webhelp

Jul 19, 2012 12:24 PM

We are using FrameMaker 10 and RoboHelp 9 on a Windows 7 platform.

We publish Webhelp directly out of FrameMaker.  To do this, we first have to go into RoboHelp and set up an empty project. We configure File > Project Settings, and then also configure the WebHelp (Primary Layout) > Properties.  Then, when we publish from FrameMaker, we simply point to the empty RoboHelp xpj file that we configured.

The problem is that some of the time the default topic is correct (the first topic in the FrameMaker book), but sometimes it is not.

As you know, if you set up an empty project in RoboHelp, you cannot do the following:

1. Select WebHelp (Primary Layout) > Properties (the WebHelp Settings window appears).

2. Expand the Content Categories node, and select Content.

3. Click the Select button beside the Default Topic field.

In an empty project (i.e., one that is not linked or imported), there is nothing to select.

So, my question is this: How is RoboHelp determining what to target as the default topic in the published WebHelp output?

Thank you in advance.

Tim

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 19, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to TimLMun

Don't know the answer to that one - what about adding a topic, setting the SSL recipe, and delete the topic?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to TimLMun

Hi Tim,

You should find that you can open up the WebHelp.ssl file (in your project directory) in a text editor to set all kinds of settings that are otherwise difficult.

As with any text edits to a file, make a backup of the file prior to editing!!

-Matt

@mattrsullivan

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to TimLMun

Glad that you figured out what's going on ;>)

Still of the opinion that this "publish" method straight out of FM isn't quite ready for prime-time; you still get way more control going the conventional FM to RH route.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 1:22 PM   in reply to TimLMun

No, you should find that it is looking for exactly that First_Topic.htm.

Change that value to the topic you are looking for, including directories, if any and you should be set.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to mattrsullivan

Hopefully folks won't mind me chiming in here. Note I'm horribly ignorant on Frame, but I do share a long history with RoboHelp.

Indeed, when you create a new project in RoboHelp, the default name used for the very first topic is "First_Topic.htm".

tmp1.PNG

Because there are no other topics, this topic is configured and used as the "Default".

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 2:41 AM   in reply to TimLMun

I'm having enough of my own problems with a linked project (that weren't there before the TCS Suite upgrade to 4), however I am seeing exactly the same behaviour as Tim. I had already deleted the First_Topc.html file after creating the project and my default page (from the WebHelp SSL Properties is C:\Help_Link\ICM Help\!SSL!\WebHelp\CIM_User_Manual\Copyright\Copyright.htm

However the WebHelp SSL file has the following as SSDefaultTopic -  value="CIM_User_Manual\Auto_Provision\Auto_Provision.htm"

This is the first topic in the first folder for my linked project, and refuses to change from the GUI. Once I've changed it from the WebHelp.ssl file, it's ok.

Something seems to have gone very wrong with linked projects in TCS 4

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points