Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Ilustrator CS6 - Scroll speed problem.

Jul 19, 2012 5:01 PM

Tags: #scroll #zoom #speed

Hi guys, I just wonder, why the scroll speed is so slow when you zoom in at something?, whats the reason of this?, can it be modified somewhere?.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 10, 2012 3:46 PM   in reply to LeaPaul

I have the same problem and was not able to find anything in the preferences to change it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 8:23 PM   in reply to jbchang

I have the same problem with CS6. I read older posts regarding the same issue with other Adobe products (namely Photoshop). http://forums.adobe.com/message/2879812

An apparent staff member recognized it was a problem. I would assume it eventually got fixed. Regardless, it's very cumbersome.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 8:03 AM   in reply to LeaPaul

I'm sorry replying to an old thread but it's happening to me too. Is there any solution to this yet?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 5:22 AM   in reply to An Elephant

I am also having problems with scrolling in Illustrator.

When I zoom in, it is really slow. When zoomed out, it is really quick.

Help?

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 10:21 AM   in reply to LeaPaul

I just upgraded from CS5 and am encountering this as well. Zoomed out and I can pan very quickly around my document, but both zooming and panning around while zoomed in is excruciatingly slow and most of my pan scroll motions just move the document a tiny fraction of an inch. If you pause your pan motion before letting go of the mouse button it then pans the complete distance. The further I'm zoomed in the slower it gets, 300% is about perfect but closer than that it starts degrading. It also seems to be restricted to horizontal panning and not vertical.

This isn't a complex document at all with just a few lines of text and a couple shapes in black and white. It happens in both outline and preview view and I also tried outlining all my text to rule that out. My other documents also exhibit this but at slightly different degrees.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 3:52 AM   in reply to LeaPaul

Anyone managed to find a solution to this. When zoomed in, the panning is incredibly slow. No such issues on CS5 Mac but CS6 Win + mouse is unproductively slow!

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 7:43 AM   in reply to LeaPaul

You guys have noticed sometimes in Illustraotr, walking with the Hand Tool to search the itens on the artboards, it seems like the ram memory i think, slowly the image when moves. This problem happens time to time.. don't happen frequently.

Another thing, Illustrator CS6 closes claiming error with the program. This happens frequently and i think this problem started after Adobe launch the last AI update.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2013 7:06 AM   in reply to Evil Lair

I don't know if it's an issue most people never notice or it's specific to my setup, but I've been forced to go back to working in CS5 to get work done, so much happier. Not a fan of the cartoonish and space wasting panels of CS6 either.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 2:46 AM   in reply to LeaPaul

Again, same problem here. Scrolling is just too slow on detailed work. Would be great to find a fix...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 8:17 PM   in reply to LeaPaul

I'm using CC and Mac OS today, and had slow scroll problems too. I fixed it by adjusting the scroll wheel speed setting in system preferences. Made the scroll much better.

Windows should have a similar option in the control panel that adjusts the scroll speed.

If this bumps up the thread, and there's a setting with Illustrator itself to set scroll speed, I'm all ears.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2013 3:19 AM   in reply to jpost-design

For Windows, there should be specific mouse software settings to set the scroll speed for the  mouse that you'd be using. By default the option is to increase the number of lines for Vertical and number of characters for horizontal under the Windows mouse settings. See image:

mouse.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2014 11:01 AM   in reply to PrintFusion45

answer is unhelpful.  The windows default scroll speed is not the issue, please re-read the comments.

At 100% zoom, scroll speed is fine.  At 1600% zoom, moving x lines at the scale means you barely move anything at all.  You all goofed your scroll controls.  They should be moving a % of the screen, not lines of pixels.

If you change the number of lines to scroll in the Windows scroll attributes so that it will work reasonably well at 1600%, then when you are at 100% each wheel click will move pages.

Please, we designers need a solution.  It takes 10-20% longer to create detail work in your application now.  It's frustrating, time-consuming, and a waste of uncounted millions of man hours across graphic desgindom .

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2014 10:40 AM   in reply to Revlis_A

Ya, that's a lousy solution... fixes illustrator and messes up every other application on the system.

This thread is 2yrs old and still not seeing a fix... does Adobe ever read this stuff? If it were a Freeware application I could see the lack of support, but, it's actually pretty pricey software and I see issues posted on this forum all the time that are YEARS old and never fixed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points