Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

The future of flashbuilder and compiler ?

Jul 20, 2012 1:43 AM

Tags: #flex #future #flashbuilder

Since adobe hand over the flex sdk to apache.

I just wonder there will be no adobe flex sdk availabe in future.

And what will the flashuilder use to build swf? Apache flex sdk?

Or there's new compiler ? new Flash sdk?

And if there no mxml based UI like flex sdk, will adobe create another way to help designer and programmer to work togother ?

thanks for any comments.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 20, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to davy zhang

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to davy zhang

Apache will soon release the first build of the sdk. Should be fine!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2014 3:59 PM   in reply to davy zhang

What I would like to see is a compiler for the flex framework, that will compile it into a native app, I love flex, but my customers hate adobe AIR.

But I get the feeling that Adobe is going to be flogging this dead horse for a long time yet!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2014 4:39 PM   in reply to zombee

I think the users will be flogging the dead horse longer than Adobe - even ressurecting threads that have been dead for almost two years.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2014 5:42 PM   in reply to pauland

Well, its better than starting another useless thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2014 5:47 PM   in reply to zombee

My clients could care less what is used to get an app onto an IOS machine, as long as it runs they don't care.

What is it specifically about AIR that they have an issue with?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2014 6:25 PM   in reply to pauland

My customers are home users and of the older generation, as such most of them are not technically adept, having things pop up such as you need to install air, it confuses them. I know that I can have the air included, but that turns the apk into bloatware.

Air is also unstable on some devices, particularly on devices that are short on resources.

These are the main reasons why I switched to java development, even though it takes me double the development time. But I still love flex, and I still want to program in it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2014 8:46 PM   in reply to zombee

You are welcome to join the Apache Flex community and write a backend to the new compiler that will spit out native code.  The new compiler can already spit out JS so you don't need AIR and can run web apps in mobile browsers and you can use Cordova/PhoneGap on the JS output to produce mobile apps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2014 9:45 PM   in reply to Flex harUI

Yea, I'd really love to do that, unfortunately I am not that good at programming, at least not anymore,  I have an form of dementia, while still at its early stages, I struggle remembering what I already know and have to keep looking things up, as for learning something new, I'm not too sure if it is possible now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2014 2:59 AM   in reply to Flex harUI

I've just had an idea. Probably not a good one but it would be easier than writing my own compiler.  If I adapt the flex framework to include the features in android that are missing from Android, I can write a program to convert the flex application to a Java application, and then compile it with the standard Android SDK.

That way, we can use the ease of Flex with the standard Android components to make a full Java app, and it will include all the latest features.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2014 3:42 AM   in reply to zombee

I can write a program to convert the flex application to a Java application, and then compile it with the standard Android SDK.

A ton of work for anybody. I'd drop that idea now.

A number of my clients have been quite happy with the standard flash projector ( though it's a pain that you can't rename the window ).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2014 4:10 AM   in reply to pauland

You're probably right about that, but it'll keep me entertained for a few months. Lmao

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2014 4:37 AM   in reply to zombee

It'll be a project you'll never complete.

Remember the main focus - your customers - better to expend that energy on something that benefits them and your bank balance.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2014 12:39 AM   in reply to Flex harUI

> new compiler can already spit out JS ... you can use Cordova/PhoneGap ... to produce mobile apps

Hi Alex,

Is there a "FlexJS Status" URL where we can learn the current status of this project?

I was under the impression that this is "in the works" i.e. a partial implementation...

Your comment, quoted above, gives the impression that, at least, things are moving forward substantially...

Is there a resource that we can check occasionally to see "how partial" and "how substantially"?

Thanks,

Douglas

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2014 9:45 AM   in reply to Douglas McCarroll

The main wiki page is here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/FlexJS

Follow the Apache Flex dev@flex.apache.org mailing list for latest news.  There is a lot of traffic on that list, but you can filter for emails with the subject Re: The future of flashbuilder and compiler ? in them.

I will be presenting on FlexJS at 360Flex this year.

-Alex

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2014 4:46 AM   in reply to Flex harUI

Thanks Alex!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status