Skip navigation
gaudie_production
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign won't save or undo - resetting preferences doesn't help (prob reoccurs shortly af

Jul 20, 2012 1:56 AM

Tags: #indesign_cs5

Problem:

At some random point after working with the program for a couple of hours it won't let you save anymore and it won't "undo" a step anymore. I have seen no link between something I did with the program and the reoccuring of the problem.

I reset the preferences which solved the problem temporarily, but after a couple of minutes I was again unable to undo a step or save.

Of course, I can export the document as a pdf and thus create a copy of it so that my work is not lost, however, that's not a real solution.

The version we use is Adobe InDesign CS5 on Mac OS X. I can give you the exact details if you'd need them.

What can I do to solve the problem - or where exactly does the problem lie?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 20, 2012 2:00 AM   in reply to gaudie_production

First is InDesign patched to 7.0.4?

Do you have any third party plugins? A font manager?

Does the problem persist if you create and use a new user account?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 2:08 AM   in reply to gaudie_production

Is it only with the keyboard shortcuts, have you tried using the Menu Items, I know it sounds simple and apologies if it's too simple, but are they grayed out in the Menus?

I only ask because it happens me periodically - I have to go to File>Save and then everything works as normal.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2012 2:36 AM   in reply to gaudie_production

Hold down the Cmd Key while choosing About InDesign from the InDesign Menu. What is the full version number listed in the upper left? It should be 7.0.4.533. If it isn't, run Help> Updates... and if that says you are up to date, then you'll have to download the patch manually from http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5004

Do you have any plugins installed in InDesign that are not from Adobe. Plugins perform specialized tasks or extend the capabilities of the program. Many organizations like newspapers and magazines use specialized plugins to handle ad placement and tracking, for example. Font managers also tend to install auto-activation plugins so that fonts are loaded automatically if they are not already installed when a file is opened. These can be a big source of problems.

Other software not related to ID can also interfere with proper operation. We see reports of trouble with MacKeeper and similar utilities. Do you have anything like that running?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2013 3:21 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Just to add my 2c – I have the same problem (newest patch of ID, German, OSX 10.9) and it seems to occur rather regularily after I insert images from bridge or finder in InDesign. Resetting ID didn't work at all and yesterday, while working on the Notebook at a client it happened about 4 or 5 times a day, as inserting images into a document is, well, a pretty *basic* function of a design software :-D.

From IndesignSecrets I gathered that Adobe seems to be aware of this - not all too new - problem and a kind of extension is out there to fix it. I'll try to fight my way through L1-Support in order to try & get one.

If you allow me to vent a bit of frustration at this point: Along with the rather problematic update from single to team license and Photoshop CC not running for some months on my MacPro until something was troubleshot (forcing me to work with CS6 while paying for CC), CC isn't really wowing me too much from a customer perspective right now. I still strongly believe in Adobe, but this was too much bad stuff in too short a time. There's much promise in the new ideas floating around, but it doesn't seem to form a coherent whole (Edge/Dreamweaver/Muse... Cloud and Acrobat.com...) and at the same time the basic software seems to get more, not less, buggy with each iteration. Which runs against the gamut of my experience with most other software these days, which tends to get smaller and smarter and more stable with each upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2013 4:55 AM   in reply to gaudie_production

I have the same problem and the only way seems to manualy quit ID with system tools (cmd+alt+esc) After relaunching, the last docs are recoverd and for the most of the time only a few things are missing.

It is annoying and frustrating and I hope Adobe fix this problem soon...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2013 2:38 PM   in reply to gaudie_production

I have been dealing with this issue for months! It happens more often each day. Today my ID goes into this mode after I move a single object on the page. I can't take this anymore. I worked on CS5.5, and installed the new CC, but it's happening in the new program as well. I've reset my preferences, I've restarted my comp. I've started fresh new documents.

And... it happened on my work computer CS5. (I used to think the deal was in my home computer) Now I think it's the InDesign. Maybe it's me, who's doing something wrong.

I've never felt so helpless with Adobe Program, this is the first time I can't find a solution.

Please help!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2013 2:42 PM   in reply to sidorkomarina

OS? Clean install or Upgrade?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2013 2:47 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hi Peter,

I'm working in OS X Version 10.9.1. Upgrade. Do you think that's what's causing the problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2013 2:51 PM   in reply to sidorkomarina

It certainly could be. ID is not receptive to OS upgrades after installation (and even after reinstalling there's no guarantee that it will run on an upgraded OS).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2013 2:53 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

What should I do? I can't work. I have to do the IDML trick every 3-5 minutes. Is there an Adobe service that I can take my computer to?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2013 2:56 PM   in reply to sidorkomarina

I would uninstall, run the cleaner tool (CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3) then reinstall.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2013 3:06 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

thank you so much, I will try this

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers