Skip navigation
jmklein
Currently Being Moderated

How to fade audio and continue audio level into later clips

Jul 23, 2012 5:01 PM

I have the PE 10 trial.  When I add keyframes manually to fade out audio, or just select the "fade out" option to fade audio at the end of a clip, the audio adjustment ends at end of the clip and the audio of the next clips is at original level.  That creates a big discontinuity in sound level.

What if I want the following clip or clips to continue at the same faded audio level, instead of starting off at their original level.

In Pinnacle Studio for example, when you fade down audio, all the audio to the right will be adjusted to match the level after the fade, as long as there are no keyframes forward of that final fade keyframe.  Now that I am trying PE 10, I miss this behavior.

In PE10, is there a key sequence that will allow this behavior?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 23, 2012 5:27 PM   in reply to jmklein

If I understand your needs, I would look into using the Audio Mixer, and applying Audio Track Keyframes for Volume. This ARTICLE mentions that method, along with several Clip-specific adjustments.

Note: Track Volume Keyframes, are Track-specific, so if you change Clips, those Track Keyframes remain, and will affect any Clip that you later add to it.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 6:52 PM   in reply to jmklein

When it comes to Keyframing Effects in Audio, such as Volume, there are two types: Clip-specific Keyframes, that are attached to the Clip, and then Track Keyframes, that are attached to the Audio Track, regardless of what you might do, regarding the Clips on that Track.

With Clip Volume Keyframes, if you Delete the Clip, those Keyframes disappear. With Track Volume Keyframes, if you swap out a Clip, or Clips, those Track Volume Keyframes will remain. That has tripped up other editors in the past.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 5:54 PM   in reply to jmklein

If you only have one Clip, or just a few Clips, where you wish to attenuate the Volume, I would do that at the Clip level, and just adjust the Fixed Effect (automatically appears on all Clips with Audio), and add Keyframes to adjust the Volume.

I find it easier to do from the Effects Control Panel, accessed by Selecting the Clip to be adjusted, then from the Effects Tab, choose Edit Effects.

Lets say that you have a Clip, where the majority of the Volume is just right, but there is one section, where you wish to lower the Volume. Go to where you want the Volume to begin to get lower, and add a Keyframe (toggle Keyframes ON), then go to where you want the Volume returned to the main setting, and add another Keyframe. At this point, nothing has changed, but you have added two Keyframes, that will "hold" the Volume, to the existing level. Now, go to where you want the Volume to be its lowest, to the right of that first Keyframe that we added. Add another one. Adjust the level at that Keyframe (now the second in the Clip) to what you want. Go to where you want the Volume to begin rising, just before the second Keyframe that you added (now the third one), and add another Keyframe. Adjust it to match the Volume that you adjusted in what is now the second Keyframe. You will have four Keyframes: the first one, that holds the Volume in the beginning of the Clip, the second, that adjusts the Volume to its lowest setting, the third, that matches the Volume of the second, and then the fourth, that holds the Volume back to the original level for the remainder of the Clip. It will look like this:

Audio_Keyframes_PrE.png

Some like to do the Keyframing with the "rubberbands" in the Clip itself, but I like the Effects Control Panel.

Also, the Keyframes that we added, are Linear, and if you want to adjust the Interpolation, to make the changes smoother, just Rt-Click on each Keyframe, to adjust the Interpolation. Interpolation is a bit abstract, so I would suggest reading the Help Files on Bezier Curves on Keyframes.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 6:51 PM   in reply to jmklein

The way to adjust the Volume for multiple Clips can be done one of two ways.

The first would be to make the adjustments to the first Audio Clip (do not do the Keyframing for Volume attenuation at this step, to allow for the dialog to come forward), then Rt-click on it, and choose Copy. Next, Select all other Audio Clips, Rt-click, then choose Paste Attributes. Done. Then, go back and use the Keyframing, as described above, to selectively attenuate the Volume, as needed.

The other is to do the attenuation at the Audio Track level, with the Audio Mixer. Just play the Timeline, and adjust the slider in the Audio Mixer, for the appropriate Audio Track, to apply Track Keyframes to it. See that linked article for more detail, and caveats.

Did you move the Audio Clips from the Soundtrack Audio Track? Did that help?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points