Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Chapter Markers not accurate with exported MPEG-2 file

Jul 23, 2012 10:55 PM

Tags: #chapter #encore #markers

So I exported an MPEG-2 file with Chapter Markers from a Premiere CS6 project which consisted of 30 video clips and 30 chapter markers at the beginning of each video clip, very simple project. I loaded the MPEG-2 file into Encore CS6 and previewed it and noticed that the last 1/2 second of video from the previous clip plays before the correct video clip starts for that Chapter Marker. I make the DVD and the same thing happens on all 30 video clips, all the chapter markers are not accurate.

Any suggestions?

Randy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 24, 2012 12:26 AM   in reply to Cavemandude

Just today I did the same process with only 5 chapter marks and each one was positioned exactly on  the frame between black fill and start of chapter.

Perfect in  Premiere, Encore Preview and on DVD. All marks frame accurate even though my DVD encodes are PAL to NTSC .

(CS6 Windows 7)

Cant explain why it does not work for you . Sorry

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 12:52 AM   in reply to shooternz

The chapter markers must be in key frames. This key frames are created in the encoding process and Encore set the chapter marker in the closest key frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 4:53 AM   in reply to Cavemandude

There are other reports of inaccurate chapter placements in the Encore forum. I can't find them at the moment.

The only similar one I did find might be related:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1004879?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 5:54 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

I have this problem with Bluray but not with dvd.

Richard

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 6:13 AM   in reply to Richard M Knight

Richard, only with H.264 and not mpeg2? Or both?

Randy, can you reproduce this with a new, short sequence with Craig's 5 markers?

I would file a bug report even if you can't reproduce it. Encore/markers are showing some odd things, and I don't know that Encore staff follow forums outside Encore. I would mark the bug report as "Encore" rather than "Premiere."

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 7:17 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Keep in mind that the long GOP structure of MPEG2-DVD and H.264 carries limitations in the accuracy of markers. Markers can only be placed at GOP boundaries, so unless you change the GOP structure before encoding the accuracy will be limited.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 7:15 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

I have only tried H264 for the Bluray and it was these that were faulty, The Mpeg 2 DVD were fine but these were two different projects, The faulty Bluray was EXcam 1080 25i dolby 5.1    The good dvd was Excam, down converted to SD with stereo wav  audio.

Richard

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 10:17 PM   in reply to Cavemandude

You said you are encoding to MPEG-2 from Pr.

Could you check if your chapters have any name in Pr. Just double click on the chapter marker in the sequence, and a Marker dialog window will pop up. See the Name field there.

If that is empty, try giving it a name here and do this for all the chapters. Re-encode it and then import in Encore.

Please let me know if this is already in place.

-Ramesh.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 10:10 PM   in reply to Cavemandude

Could you let me know the assets propeties , the sequence settings in Premiere and the preset used to encode the video so that I can try this out and let you know my findings?

-Ramesh.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points