Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Encore always transcodes my x264 compressed files

Jul 24, 2012 9:09 AM

Hi everyone. I'm about to go crazy working on my first Blu-Ray disc! I work on a Mac Pro using Encore CS6 on Mac OS X 10.6.8. I am looking to use an AVC/H.264 encoded file by the x264 compression engine, which is supposed to be the best out there. For this, I have tried using FFmpegX and Handbrake with regular settings (1920x1080p, 23,976fps, 16:9, constant quality) starting from an Uncompressed 10-bit output from my Premiere timeline.

I am very satisfied by the compressed H264 outpout file, but no matter which application I use and the different configurations (tried different profiles inside Handbrake), everytime I import the  file, Encore sees it as a file that has to be Transcoded again. And of course you can imagine how the result looks like when an h264 file is encoded twice...

I have tried reading every possible forum on the subject of H264 Blu-Ray compatible files... without any success. I desperately need your help!

I have even tried pointing to the "encoded" file on my hard drive by telling Encore it has been encoded already, but the compilation of my Blu-Ray fails everytime when I does this.

I have succeeded once to create a file with Handbrake that is "sometimes" accepted in Encore (happened twice, I think), but it's bitrate was too risky to my taste for compatibility (38mbps) and therefore was only a test. I have no idea why this one worked...

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 24, 2012 10:16 AM   in reply to Eric_Daoust

Upload a small sample so others can test.

http://www.depositfiles.com/en/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to Eric_Daoust

Hi Eric

Join the club. I have spent over a week now trying to resolve this problem without success. I have found that it  fails to get the correct aspect ratio or recognise the correct interlace with 1440x1080i25 HDV video. As you probably know Encore is riddled with bugs but I have been kooking for a work around. The built in mainconcept encoder does work but is greatly inferior to x264. There is a plugin called x264pro which seems to work with progressive video. I have been testing this and found there is a bug with interlaced video which they are fixing now. I have done alot of web searching without success.

Regards Trevor

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 4:55 PM   in reply to Eric_Daoust

You mean the final H264 file that isn't accepted by Encore, right?

Yeah.  I'll try it over here and see what Encore does with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 8:40 AM   in reply to Eric_Daoust

Media info says it has variable frame rate; I have to think Encore does not like that. Imports for me as "untranscoded."

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to Eric_Daoust

Media info still says variable frame rate. And yes, still untranscoded in EN.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 12:04 PM   in reply to Eric_Daoust

Go to View -> Tree. Then, under the Video section, find "Frame Rate." For me, the "Frame Rate Mode: Variable" is right before that; and after them is a minimum and maximum.

In Handbrake, check both that you specify "constant," and also that you specify a rate (rather than using "source" or whatever).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 1:05 PM   in reply to Eric_Daoust

I don't think the mediainfo should be different. (I am PC.) Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing?

I don't know for a fact that variable framerate is an issue; but it seems a logical problem - and once EN transcodes it, it is a constant 23.976.

Is the 23.976 a drop down in Handbrake?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to Eric_Daoust

Looks like the tree view in Mediainfo, and everything is the same as for me (PC version) except the variable framerate.

I check in Gspot (only available for PC), and it does not report a framerate mode, but reports the framerate as 23.974.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 5:23 PM   in reply to Eric_Daoust

No, it was 23.974 as in not compatible!

I do not understand this; I sorta understood DVD, in which 23.976 was really 29.97 with pulldown, but I don't know how BD works or what scenarios might explain this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 7:02 PM   in reply to Eric_Daoust

Eric_Daoust wrote:

Here is the file.

Well, one thing I notice right away is that it's an MP4 file.  Encore will be expecting an .m4v file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 7:05 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Media info says it has variable frame rate;

I've found MediaInfo to be less than reliable on this front.  Gspot, VLC and even Premiere Pro properly see it as 23.976.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 4:29 AM   in reply to Eric_Daoust

Eric_Daoust wrote:

I have tried reading every possible forum on the subject of H264 Blu-Ray compatible files... without any success. I desperately need your help!

Hi Eric,

Can you download and try the sample pmk3.264 in encore. The sample can be downloaded from here: http://hem.bredband.net/b131706/

This sample is blu-ray compliant and works perfectly with Sony DVD Architect Pro 5. but I need to know if it also work with encore.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to Eric_Daoust

Did you make it work on your side just by changing the file extension Jim?

Nope.  Which leads me to believe there is a difference between files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 12:27 AM   in reply to Eric_Daoust

Eric_Daoust wrote:

Can't wait to hear if he is using x264...

I'm using the Mainconcept Reference 2.2 encoder. Sony DVD Architect Pro 5 doesn't like the x264 encoder.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to Eric_Daoust

Yes. My main problem was with amorphic video as encore would not recognise the correct sar. It turns out that Encore has not kept up todate with the H.264 specs for aspect_ratio_idc. I was able to patch x264 to fix this. I am still having problems with getting the interlace field order right but that doesn't seem to stop me building blu-rays. I would advise you to run x264 directly and not through a gui at the moment. These are my settings:

x264.exe  --level 4.1 --bluray-compat --tune film --bitrate 20000 --threads 16 --keyint 25 --open-gop --weightp 0 --slices 4 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --vbv-maxrate 25000 --tff --input-res 1440x1080 --videoformat pal --fps 25/1 --force-cfr --output-csp i420 --input-csp i420  --sar 4:3 --log-level info --output "output.264" "input.avs"

The unfixed x264 will work with progressive video but you will need to edit the options. I am using YV12 input. I am not saying these settings are optimum but they work with my HDV video. Always check the logs for warnings.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to Eric_Daoust

Look at this:

http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/x264-devel/2011-January/008186.h tml

Encore uses a table which has not been updated to the latest h264 spec. All you have to do is find the table in x264 binary and patch with a hex editor. You need to change 04 03 0E to 00 00 ff. x264 will then use the extended form of aspect_ratio_idc. Make sure you find the correct place in the binary by checking for the whole table. This will make x264 confirm to the old h264 standard. To summarize x264 will create an aspect_ratio_idc of 14 for HDV video which encore will not recognize.

The Mainconcept encoders gets the pic_struct wrong in the SEI. It uses 1 and 2 for top and bottom fields respectivly wheras it should be 3 and 4 as used by x264. Unfortunatly Encore perpetuates Mainconcepts bug and interprets pic_struct wrongly. To change to this in x286 would require the source to be edited but I don't think it is worth doing as the resulting stream will not conform to H264 standards. Encore will accept x286 video as don't transcode so encore will build a disc with H264 complient video which certainly not true using Mainconcepts encoder.

Please note that the values 1 and 2 should be used for paff interlacing and 3 and 4 for mbaff. Unfortunatly Mainconcept uses 1 and 2 for both. Encore thinks x286 video is progressive for tff video and tff for bff video.

Encore is very out of date and has numerous bugs which have been around for years.

Hope this helps

Regards Trevor

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 10:59 AM   in reply to Eric_Daoust

You only need the patch if you are using amorphic video ie non square pixels such as 1440x1080i25.

The interlace problem is seperate. There are 2 ways to encode interlace in the h264 specification PAFF and MBAFF. In PAFF pict_struct can have a value of 1 or 2. With MBAFF pict_struct can have a value of 3 or 4. Mainconcept encoders have got this wrong and use 1 & 2 for both PAFF and MBAFF. In other words Mainconcept does not conform to the standard for MBAFF encoded video. In general MBAFF works best and x264 only supports MBAFF.

Progressive video should be no problem as long as the basic rules are followed see

http://www.x264bluray.com/home

One importent point progessive video is not supported with HD at 25 or 30 fps. To get round this there is a special option in x264 called fake_interlaced which will turn progressive into fake interlaced complient with Blu-ray.

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 4:52 PM   in reply to Eric_Daoust

Bad link.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...