Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign CS6 epub export bug

Jul 24, 2012 4:02 PM

Tags: #cs6 #epub #mobi

I am using Indesign CS6 to export a book to epub. Having problems with automatic numbers and bullets as well as spacing issues; however, I've made some adjustments and am getting a pretty decent epub. Here's the issue: When I convert my epub to Mobi using Calibre, I get double bullets and double numbers in my lists. I used this same process to create a Mobi file a few months ago in Indesign 5.5 with no problem. So I took one of my CS6 files, exported it to IDML, opened it in CS5.5 and exported to ePub. I then took that epub and converted it to Mobi using Calibre. No double bullets or numbers. So the issue is coming from Indesign CS6.

Anyone else had this issue. Any other ideas on how to get a clean Mobi file from CS6?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 24, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to jhewitt@lifeway

InDesign CS 6 (version 8.0.0.370) is an early build with no patches or updates since the product shipped.  Until a major update for InDesign CS 6 becomes available, InDesign CS5.5 (version 7.5.3.333) might be your most updated and reliable version to use for EPUBs.  It's good to report software bugs like the one you discovered.  I have InDesign CS6 but I'm using InDesign CS 5.5 for creating EPUBs, for now, because it is a refined, mature, and well patched build.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 12:59 AM   in reply to jhewitt@lifeway

You have options for control this in the export palette.

CS6 is a fantastic advance for making epubs.

No patches is not a proof that it is not good...

Coming back to CS 5.5 is absurd.

Can you imagine a team of engineers wasting time and no proofing their work?

Here we are finally exporting epubs for the first time, easily, really effective, and  maintaining the integrity of the original, in CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 11:32 AM   in reply to camilo umaña

Camilo, Your right about the leap foreward that InDesign CS6 provides in creating EPUBs that are good-to-go, without having to crack them open.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  One of the big proponents of patching EPUBs, that are exported from InDesign CS5.5, agrees with you about InDesign CS6:

Customizing InDesign's EPUB files without cracking them open! BY LIZ CASTRO

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 5:58 AM   in reply to cgrscott

Judy, you should be using KindleGen (or better, Kindle Previewer -- easier) to convert EPUBs to MOBI files.

Free download from Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000765261

To use it, start up Kindle Previewer, then from its File > Open menu, select your EPUB. It will use the built-in KindleGen (normally a command-line program) to convert it to a MOBI file. If there are any issues with the conversion, you'll get a report with warnings and/or errors.

AM

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to cgrscott

I have to reluctantly concur. I'm finding that CS6 is somehow ignoring "space before" paragraph styling and I have to put it in manually.

I'm working on a book with 100 chapters, each starting with the same image. I honestly wish that CS6 wouldn't consider the image different every time its used and filling the .opf file with 100 references.

What does this mean? -epub-ruby-position:over;

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to lotuscott

lotuscott,

You should get the 8.0.1 update for InDesign CS6. It fixes several EPUB bugs including the "space before" problem and the "epub-ruby" (which is I believed intended for Japanese language.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

Thanks a million.

Re: Indesign CS6 epub export bug

created by Steve Werner in InDesign - View the full discussion

lotuscott,

You should get the 8.0.1 update for InDesign CS6. It fixes several EPUB bugs including the "space before" problem and the "epub-ruby" (which is I believed intended for Japanese language.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4773256#4773256

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Re: Indesign CS6 epub export bug

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at Re: Indesign CS6 epub export bug. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in InDesign by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 7:27 AM   in reply to jhewitt@lifeway

I am also getting the double bullets and numbers using ID 8.01 update and exporting to ePUB, using Kindle Preview to convert to .mobi. I've found that Kindle Preview conversion from ePub gives the best results with images. Plus, it validates in the process. Going the Kindle plugin route does not give good results.

Anyone have any luck with eliminating the doubles, would be great to hear. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to klein.daniel@me.com

I've grown suspicious of using bulleted and numbered lists in epubs. Especially since some devices, like ADE, don't seems to support them.  Instead I use InDesign's "Bulleted and Numbered List" option (under TYPE) and "convert list to text."

Works fine for me.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points