I know I disappeared off the face of the planet for a while, but I am still working on the same project. In a previous post I asked about resizing an image to attach it to a button using ADM. Well, I got that working sort of. I installed ImageMagick using MacPorts and added the Magick++ libraries to my project. (An adventure since I am still not a full fledged Mac guy).
Long story.. longer.. I am building for multiple Mac OS Xs. Also different machines with different processors. Does Illustrator have any target architecture dependencies? When I set my build for the architecture that I am using (x86_64) and then kick off XCode in debug mode I get a message that The active architecture x86_64 is not present in the executable "Illustrator CS5" which contains i386.
When I build the plug-in for i386 and x86_64, it builds and runs fine on my machine, but on the user's it won't load. The plugin loads fine if I also add ppc to the mix. (This doesn't make sense to me because they don't have ppc processors). This would not be a real issue for me except that one of the dependancies of ImageMagick does not have a ppc build available in MacPorts, so it won't install if I add ppc to the +universal variant. Is there some kind of configuration in Illustrator or CS install that picks an architecture (which is different from the actual architecture of the machine)?
Thanks for letting me ramble .... and if Mr. Patterson should read this... sorry my boss dropped the ball on your Christmas present.
Unfortunately, I'm not the Mac guy -- that's my boss. I suspect he'd be able to answer this in a heartbeat, but he's off this week. I'll try and remember to ask him on Monday when he returns if no one else chimes in with an an answer in the interim.
And no worries on the Christmas present
Actually, I am working on both Win and Mac. I do not have any troubles writting, compiling and debugging.
Neither on CS5 or CS6, using XCode 3,1, 10,5sdk.
So if you have not solved your problem yet, let me know!
I could try to help you to set correctly your project settings.
I have got troubles while compiling against Boost and Xerces libraries (dylib). Linking troubles.
I have finally found a solution. I know how to compile such binaries, to make them work with illustrator plugin.
1- you have to compile your library using the correct settings. mac os sdk, architecture, etc...
2- you have to modify your library, using install_tool to change the dynamic shared library install names and or adds, change or delete the rpath recorded in a Mach-0 binary.
install_name_tool -id sur libboost_filesystem.dylib et libboost_system.dylib
install_name_tool -id @rpath/libboost_system-xgcc40-mt-1_37.dylib /../administrator/toto/libs/libboost_system-xgcc40-mt-1_37.dylib
you can use otool-D to check modifications.
3- finally you will have update your project settings, to compile against your library.
Hope this will help.
I do not have those troubles on Windows.
So compiling against third party library is not a problem anymore.
win CS3 to CS5: ok
Mac os X (lion): CS5: ok. I haven't ported my plugin to CS6 yet. Still do not know if I will have some troubles. Surprise!