Skip navigation
Marvin Steindler
Currently Being Moderated

The corrections made on my DNGs in LR4 are not being acquired by BridgePS4 or Elements 10

Jul 25, 2012 2:48 PM

Tags: #photoshop #dng #metadata #lightroom4 #4.1

Set-up-

LR4, LR3, Bridge and PS4 and Elements 10 on a MacBook Pro (OS 10.6.8), calibrated 24” HP ips monitor

Problem-

The corrections made on my DNGs in LR4 are not being acquired by BridgePS4 or Elements 10

The neither the images in the filmstrip nor the DNG file when opened in PS4 or Elements Camera Raw reflect the LR4 corrections.

Puzzling, since the Cropping and Corrections Applied Indicators are shown with the Bridge filmstrip images.

And, when I re-Save  Bridge does acknowledge that it is doing new thumbnail extractions .

I’ve done all I’m aware to do.

Save in LR4 in Library Mode with filters off

Did an Update DNG previews and metedata

Automatically write changes to XMP is ON

Restarted the machine

To troubleshoot, I brought a few of those images( again DNGs)  into LR3, did corrections and saved.

These images were rendered properly in Bridge’s filmstrip and corrections were carried into Camera Raw without issue.

Any insights?

Thank you in advance,

Marvin

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to Marvin Steindler

LR4 defaults to using the new toning model and only ACR 6.7+ can understand the settings.  You can probably update your ACR to 6.7 for PSE10, but there is no update for the older PS-CS4 if that’s what you’re using.  The PSE10-specific update for ACR 6.7 on a Mac is here:  http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5382

and Windows update is here:  http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5383

The issue is that Process Version 2012 is what LR4 defaults to and this is not understood by the older ACRs. 

Using PV2010 in LR4 would also probably work but the new toning model is one of the main reasons to use LR4 so that’s not the optimal choice.

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,387 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Jul 25, 2012 3:48 PM   in reply to ssprengel

ssprengel wrote:

The issue is that Process Version 2012 is what LR4 defaults to and this is not understood by the older ACRs.

Totally agree! But the OP used the Update DNG previews and metedata command which I thought was primarily useful for other raw converters that might not understand the current rendering to at least ‘see’ the DNG preview correctly. Does Adobe products just ignore their own embedded JPEGs?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 4:13 PM   in reply to Andrew Rodney

I guess Bridge CS4 is just trying to render the raw data as best it can, so not being able to recognize the process version 2012 the job cannot be completed fully. I have avoided the use of DNG and while I recognize it is usefull to Adobe Product users to me it is becomming more of a provobial  Tower of Babel.

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,387 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Jul 26, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to DdeGannes

DdeGannes wrote:

I guess Bridge CS4 is just trying to render the raw data as best it can, so not being able to recognize the process version 2012 the job cannot be completed fully. I have avoided the use of DNG and while I recognize it is usefull to Adobe Product users to me it is becomming more of a provobial  Tower of Babel.

Got nothing to do with DNG per se, and in fact, with the embedded JPEG in the DNG which was updated, it should be a more reliable format for viewing the differences than using the proprietary raw.

Why Bridge CS4 isn’t seeing the JEPG is a mystery to me unless it is coded such that it ignores that useful preview and just tries to build it’s own preview and due to the PV mismatch, can’t. It has to use 2010. So in that respect, the issue isn’t a DNG versus non DNG issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to Andrew Rodney

You should be viewing your LR4-adjusted files in LR4 or upgrade your Photoshop so Bridge understands the settings.   Or using some non-Adobe viewer that always just displays the embedded-preview.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to Andrew Rodney

My Bridge CS6 has a couple buttons in the toolbar at the top right.  The one with a more granular checkerboard pattern says “Browse Quickly with Preferred Embedded Images” as a tooltip and another icon next to it has a dropdown with options of Prefer Embedded, High-Quality on Demand, and Always High-Quality.   The option to Prefer Embedded sounds like what you want unless this also eventually renders High-Quality from the settings.   Does your older Bridge have a Prefer Embedded option?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 3:42 PM   in reply to Andrew Rodney

I am not a user of DNG files nor do I save to .xmp but I follow all threads in the forum.

Just a question, in LR 4 we now have three process versions 2003, 2010 and 2012. When "auto write to .xmp is sellected" does the DNG or .xmp files retain the work done individually by each process version seperately or is the information in the DNG, .xmp file get updated to the last process version used?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points