Skip navigation

Colour changing drastically when saving to JPG in CS5

Jul 27, 2012 12:55 PM

Tags: #cs5 #color #save #settings #jpg #as #shift
  Latest reply: Lundberg02, Aug 2, 2012 3:50 PM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 6:46 PM   in reply to spudpotatohead

No.i'm curious whether any of the extensive blathering got you pointed in the right direction. I hardly think so.

You have to understand the first principle of color management: device dependent color space. That's the reason for calibration. So that device independent color spaces can be output correctly. Only a few browsers are color managed. Safari, Firefox if enabled, Opera, but not IE, Camino, Chrome.  Microsoft corporate culture does not allow any accomodation to the reality that they might not have Windows on every tv in the world, so they will continue to believe that the lowest common denominator color space will rule.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 7:09 PM   in reply to spudpotatohead

Try to forgive Lundberg - he tends to prod.

Spud, the answer to your originally posted question was given in the first paragraph of post 16.  The differences you're seeing are to be expected.

The reason you're seeing different color in different places is that some of your applications are color-managed, some are partially color-managed, and some are not color-managed at all.

If your monitor is properly calibrated and profiled, trust what you're seeing in Photoshop. 

Publish your web images in the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color space and with an embedded profile.  That's likely to get your documents seen in the best possible light overall by most people.  Whether this will remain the best advice into the future isn't certain.

Currently all web browsers have some problems with color-management, though Firefox is probably closest to ideal after one advanced tweak to its settings is made (about:config, gfx.color_management.mode set to 1).  Most of the world doesn't care about color-management, as long as red things come out vaguely reddish or eye-burning red, blue things bluish, etc.  Unfortunately, it's getting worse, as portable electronic devices seem to be going the way of ignoring color-management entirely.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Spud, another potential factor could be your calibration device/software.  I don't know if it's been definitively confirmed whether you're using a wide gamut monitor or not, but only certain monitor calibration packages are compatible with wide gamut monitors, so this might be effecting your calibration results.

I found this article on Luminous Landscape that mentions some different models:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=44400

The spectraview website also lists some monitors that they've certified, might be worth a check.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 2, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to spudpotatohead

Spud, do you primarily prepare imagery for web use, or do you print as well?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 2, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to spudpotatohead

Thanks for the info.

I didn't know, from your posts above, whether primarily your work was destined for online use.  If it was, there was something I was going to suggest, but it doesn't apply.

If you're printing you likely want to be able to deal with wider gamut imagery, so I imagine you're wanting to work on images using the Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB profiles as your working space.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to Mike Ornellas

Where do your images come from? Do you know anything about a Camera Raw workflow? Have you resolved your original problem? Youth wants to know.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points