Skip navigation
Christian L.
Currently Being Moderated

LR 4 edit Camera-RAW-Image in PS CS 6 - edited photos are not shown in LR

Jul 28, 2012 12:33 PM

Tags: #catalog #migration #4.1

Platform Win 7 SP1 64 bit german, LR 4.1 german, PS CS6 german with Camera RAW 7.1, catalog with 66800 images

When I select a RAW-Image and select edit in PS CS 6 the image is opened in photoshop and everythings seems to work find. But after saving the image (as tiff, using default settings) nothing habens in LR - the image is not imported into the catalog.

When trying to sync the folder manually, the first dialog shows that one image (this image) will be added, but then an error message is shown that no image has been imported.

This is  a problem with my big main catalog which has been migrated from LR 3, but it works fine when creating a new catalog.

Also importing the existing huge catalog into a new catalog did not solve the problem (but the images edited within the old catalog were shown).

So it seems that LR does only a partial "import" when editing images in CS6.

Any hints to solve the problem are welcome

Thanks, Christian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 28, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to Christian L.

Has your PS editing left the image in some non-RGB mode, such as LAB?

I believe the option not to save a compatibility mode preview is only effective for PSD not TIFF, but that may be worth checking. LR needs there to be such a preview in the file, if it has layers - which it cannot otherwise decipher.

The error message suggests that LR can see that the image exists as a file, but cannot use it as a functioning image. "Sync Folder" should not have been necessary - if Save was selected instead of Save As, in Photoshop, LR should already have been looking out for that particular filename.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 12:38 AM   in reply to Christian L.

So renaming removes LR's difficulty - that is a useful clue. What are your LR external editing settings doing? For example, mine adds a "-edit" suffix to the starting filename. Could you post an example of an automatically named filename which does not work?

I would have expected there to be some difficulty or warning notification when saving the file in CS6. But maybe a control code or unusual character may have been included somehow in the instructions it has been given, which CS6 thinks it is OK to save, but LR does not think it is OK to import.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 1:37 AM   in reply to Christian L.

So your external edit filenaming template looks something like

{Filename»}_a

where the » (right double angled quotation mark) is a special character put in by LR?

It may be best to clear this template and then set it up again, just to be sure.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 3:23 AM   in reply to Christian L.

It should work correctly now.

Can you show a screen shot like this please

Screen Shot 2012-07-29 at 10.21.48 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 3:47 AM   in reply to Christian L.

I'm not sure about the >> you have in there as well.

I am well aware the Preferences are not catalog specific. I'll ask an expert who uses Windows in German to have a look here!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to Geoff the kiwi

The >> (in fact it is a single character) is right - at least, it is for my own (UK regionalised) Lightroom under Windows.

I am wondering if there may be some issue to do with using "Original Filename", rather than just "Filename"?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 12:23 PM   in reply to Geoff the kiwi

{xxxx»} is the normal notation for tokens under Windows. I also would give {Dateiname»} instead of {Originaldateiname»} a try, otherwise I'm puzzled.

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 1:26 PM   in reply to Christian L.

Christian L. wrote:

...  but I think this is just a lightroom bug which has to be fixed by Adobe.

Christian,

That might be the case, but in order to fix a problem it has to be

• reported properly
    • reproducible by QA/development

As far as I can judge from reading here, something seems to be wrong with your catalog, as you don't have any problem with a newly created catalog. So Adobe will NOT be able to reproduce what you're seeing unless you can supply them with your catalog.

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 4:46 PM   in reply to Christian L.

Some further reflection on this issue.

If "sync folder" shows the edited TIFF in the filesystem but is then not importing anything, one explanation may be: this image IS already in the Catalog; but Lightroom's current view has filtered it out so it is not displayed.

This might not be the case - and I hesitate to suggest the too-obvious (though the too-obvious is often what trips us up , even the most experienced). But it does at least fit with having the problem in one Catalog but not in another... if one Catalog happens to be set to show its images in some selective way which excludes these image versions.

Library screen / Catalog panel / "all photographs"; then Grid view / Filter bar / "None"; then Photo menu / Stacking / "expand all stacks"; then View menu / Sort / "Capture time" (or the same operations done another way) should either eliminate, or confirm. You should then see each and any edit version that is present, right next to its related original.

It may be that the Catalog, and its contents, are fine.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)