Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Audition CS6 doesn't save .wav files.

Jul 29, 2012 1:30 PM

I don't use Audition often and this is the first time I've used CS6. Likely to be the last as well. After recording a number of voiceovers Audition crashed. Ok, restart, it recovered nicely. Cool. Continued recording four other voiceovers in multitrack. Listened to them, the .wav files are listed in the File browser, opened one in the waveform editor but decided not to edit it then. great... save and quit. Quit successfully, no crash or errors.

Reopen project later... tracks are there but the .wav files are listed as offline. WTF? Search the hard drive, no sign of them. So all work is lost.  Looks like I need to record in a different app. Kind of a bummer as you would think this would be  af'ing core functionality of Audition.

Powerbook, 10.7.4

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 29, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to Anarchyjim

Since all recording in Multitrack is saved to .wav file as it is recorded they must be on your system somewhere. They are normally saved in a folder in your <username> documents (not sure where that is on a Mac) named with your session name. That is one of the advantages of recording in Multitrack view rather than the Waveform view.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to Anarchyjim

I would seriously advise an advanced file search of the whole computer and look for these files by the date and approximate time they were created.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to Anarchyjim

THIS IS EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING. I have encountered a very similar issue and one that I cannot figure out.

I recorded a podcast (so hour+ length recording) and everything seemed to work well. Closed down the project and opened a couple days later to find that the track is missing. Searched for the file on my computer, nothing. Tried a disk recovery program to find deleted files, nothing. I have looked everywhere this media should be and its simply not there.

Well I tried to recreate my issue (thinking I must have done something wrong) but every new recording seems to save perfectly even if I quit Audition without saving. The files are created and saved as .WAVs in a folder near the session file. Why didn't it work for the podcast?

All my new recordings save with a filepath that places the .WAV in a folder next to the session file. However, the offline podcast audio says the filepath should be in some random temp folder in Library>Preferences>Audition> Why didn't this .WAV save like the others?

I don't mind if I was the cause of the issue but not knowing is more frustrating than anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2014 11:07 PM   in reply to Anarchyjim

I'm the poor sucker that lost a 2 hour + podcast episode because of this issue. I too will never use Adobe Audition again. Extremely disappointed - how on earth could this be allowed to happen? I'll never get that show back or be able to recreate it. This is horrible.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 6, 2014 1:51 AM   in reply to Xenocide38

Xenocide38 wrote:

All my new recordings save with a filepath that places the .WAV in a folder next to the session file. However, the offline podcast audio says the filepath should be in some random temp folder in Library>Preferences>Audition> Why didn't this .WAV save like the others?

I don't mind if I was the cause of the issue but not knowing is more frustrating than anything.

Recordings only save where you tell them to, as a rule. How did you record this podcast? And I mean the exact process, all the steps. If you have a recording that you can see on the screen in Audition, and use Save As to save it, you get to choose the file path. How have you managed to avoid this?

FWIW, I've been using Audition for a long time - a very long time, indeed. On a lot of different systems. And I've never had this happen on any of them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 8:37 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Well I hate to tell you, I've seen about 4 instances of it on these boards and 5 instances of it elsewhere on the net and it IS an issue. My recording process was identical to what it has been for the last 6 months using Adobe. Believe me, a switch at this point is a real blow for me but what can I do?

What I desperately want is to recover these files. It's saying the .wavs have been saved to a temp folder inside adobe which has now disappeared (529eafa3-48d8-83f5-db0bbf1f9d6b/529eafa3-48d8-83f5-db0bbf1f9d6b_Reco rded) - this is the problem and it's nothing I've done.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 9:24 AM   in reply to Anarchyjim

Well Steve and most of us other long time users who haven't ever seen this problem are all on PCs. So perhaps it is something that only happens on Macs? Anything in Temp folders is usually tidied up when you exit Audition. Where did you specify that the files should be saved to?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 9:29 AM   in reply to ryclark

There are also usually log files stored in the Audition settings folder that may throw some light on the problem. But you will really need one of the developers to come on here and tell you where to send the log to.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 1:13 PM   in reply to ryclark

Thanks for your help ryclark. I think I speak for myself and Anarchyjim when I say that all we really want back is our initial files. Recordings are often such an "in the moment" thing that when lost - they are truly lost forever.

I think people expect this kind of issue to arise when they are neglegent and forget to backup or save their files but what is killing me about this is I DID save my files - multiple times in fact.

It's a real drag that's all.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 6, 2014 1:56 PM   in reply to Anarchyjim

Anarchyjim wrote:

Congrats on being a long time user. Because the bug hasn't happened to you is meaningless. Thanks for the useless reply. Since you don't seem to have a solution, please take the condescending attitude elsewhere.

a) I haven't been condescending in the slightest. b) You have completely failed to answer the perfectly reasonable question I asked you:

Let me spell out what the original question was since you're apparently unclear on it: Because the file is not where I saved it, is there somewhere else it could've been saved? This is more hoping against hope that Audition just stuck it somewhere that wasn't obvious either because of user error or whatever. Since the files have not been saved anywhere, it would appear to be an Audition problem.

I didn't ask you about that. I asked about how you recorded a podcast in the first place - the exact steps - which you have completely managed to avoid, and may well relate very much to the real answer to your question.

So if you want some help, I suggest you modify your attitude somewhat.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 2:35 PM   in reply to Anarchyjim

I'm having the same problem. Recorded an hour long VO session with talent from out of town and the client here to direct. Saved. Checked the filepath. All good. Save again, close out. Files are gone.

This is unacceptable. I've seen two other users posts from the past month who are having hte exact same problem. This is not user error.

Screen Shot 2014-01-06 at 4.34.01 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 6, 2014 3:20 PM   in reply to KingslayerJones

KingslayerJones wrote:

This is not user error.

I'm not saying that at all. But there will be a clear path towards this behaviour, whatever it is, and in order to find that, it will be necessary to find the exact steps necessary to reproduce it. Without these, nobody gets anywhere. And you may have to be patient...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 3:23 PM   in reply to KingslayerJones

Without knowing something about the computer systems these problems are showing up on no one can really diagnose what is going on. Just saying that the files have disappeared doesn't help at all.

Was this on a Mac or a PC and what operating system?

The file path of any recorded media can be checked from within Audition both as a field in the Files panel and again in the properties panel. Do these show the correct file paths before you close out Audition?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 3:24 PM   in reply to ryclark

Everyone impacted please see _durin's response to my thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1372162?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 3:44 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Thanks, Steve, I wasn't trying to imply anyone was saying anything different, I was just frustrated and venting at Adobe in general. Eveyone on this board has been nothing but helpful. I saw the response Adobe posted on the other thread and have my answer.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 6, 2014 5:03 PM   in reply to Anarchyjim

Anarchyjim wrote:

>>use Save As to save it, you get to choose the file path. How have you managed to avoid this?

This isn't condescending? This implies we don't know how to save a file or choose a file path. And implies it rather snottily.

Perhaps you should choose your words more carefully if you don't mean to come off as condescdending, which is how you came off to those of us asking the question.

Oh, get over yourself. It's a question. It's got a question mark at the end. I genuinely wanted to know the answer. There's nothing 'snotty' (whatever that is) about it at all.

Oh, and it's only you. Nobody else seems to have a problem with people attempting to help them...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 5:37 AM   in reply to KingslayerJones

KingslayerJones wrote:

I'm having the same problem. Recorded an hour long VO session with talent from out of town and the client here to direct. Saved. Checked the filepath. All good. Save again, close out. Files are gone.

This is unacceptable. I've seen two other users posts from the past month who are having hte exact same problem. This is not user error.

Screen Shot 2014-01-06 at 4.34.01 PM.png

Okay, animosity aside, I think I may be seeing a pattern here.  Several of those reporting faults have said something similar, i.e. that they got to the end of a recording in multitrack then saved.

In my work flow, I don't need to Save, check the file path then save again.  Audition is recording direct to disk in whatever you've set up as your default file path.  I create a new session title before recording then just have to save the session on exit (have the "Reference all open audio a video files option clicked in Multitrack preferences) and everything is where it should be.  I'm wondering if your "two save" process is somehow saving a blank file over the one already there or something.

Like Steve, it's not a problem I've ever seen (and I use Audition many hours per day and have done so for many years) so I have to think it's something you're doing in your workflow rather than a fault everyone sees.  Of course, if Audition lets you do something like that, it should be fixed to make things safer--but I don't think it's simply failing to save without it being something to do with how you're using it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 8:35 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

Bob see the other thread and Durin's explanations..

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1372162?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 7:42 PM   in reply to ryclark

Yeah...though this poster doesn't mention any crash recovery and does talk about saving (an already saved file) twice.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points