Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SEO - Meta descriptions and Catalog Overall Layout

Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the following issues:

1) Catalog description appearing on the Product pages (Large) - There is solution given in the KB to hide the description using jscript but I am sure Google will not like this.  Is there any other way to address this issue.

2) I understand that it is not possible to add meta description in the catalog and product pages. (surprised that BC thinks that these were not important enough).  Do you think it is appropriate to use one of the custom fields in the Products to create meta description for catalog and products e.g. Custom field 1 could be allocated to meta description for catalog (just the first product on the specific catalog) and custom field 2 for the product meta descriptions?     <meta name="description" content= {customfield1}/>

Thanks, SM

TOPICS
eCommerce

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Hey there.

1. Does it say that, Can you post a link to this, your right, it wont have any effect on google seeing it.

2. You can add meta description to product pages using one of the custom fields. I would avoid using meta description for catalogs. You wont see any SEO boost at all with it and without it you wont see any negative effect. Give it to next year and it is likely these are not used by google at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give me the link to the KB article describing how to hide the description uisng javascript?  I can't seem to find this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there.

1. Does it say that, Can you post a link to this, your right, it wont have any effect on google seeing it.

2. You can add meta description to product pages using one of the custom fields. I would avoid using meta description for catalogs. You wont see any SEO boost at all with it and without it you wont see any negative effect. Give it to next year and it is likely these are not used by google at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Liam.  I have this now for the products and will leave the catalog as suggested.  Although, this is the first time I have seen somebody saying meta description won't effect your search results. Google seems to suggest that it will improve the search results and clickthorugh rate. http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35624#1

Do you know any work around for the catalog description issue. I don't want to have the description on the product page and if I make it hidden (which I am doing it currently) I think google will penalise not just for hidden text but also for duplicate content. http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66353 

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66359

Thanks.SM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 03, 2014 Jun 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I'm also looking for a solution to Catalogue Description issue. I have it added to the overall Catalogue layout and it shows up on the Large Products pages. Again, like merchant2012 said, I could hide this using JS but it doesn't make a difference to Google. I understand Google's duplicate policy and realise I'm unlikely to be penalised, but I think it's equally un-useful to have that much duplicate content floating around.

Anyone know a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2014 Jun 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not about duplicate policy as that is not so relevant to the same domain as cross domain, common misconception. But in terms of keywords, what to use for the description of the page etc it will use the wrong content.

You either do not do this as the catalog SEO is not as important as the products or you put it at the bottom and javascript it to the top on the catalog view for visual.

That is all you can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Liam,

Yeah you're right about duplicate content not being an issue within one domain - that's why I wasn't concerned. I was just meaning it's redundant and - like you say - it dilutes/messes with the content on the actual product pages. I'm just unsure you mean by:

'...or you put it at the bottom and javascript it to the top on the catalog view for visual.'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Luke,

Nothing in BC can be excluded from the overall layout (catalogue layout)

when you're viewing the large product layout since large product layout is

rendered by which resides inside the overall layout. So,

no. There's no way to exclude he content of catalogue's description inside

the large product view since it's wrapped inside catalogue view and there

are no workarounds. Once the Liquid is out you'll probably be able to if

else it.

M

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 8:29 PM, Luke Grayson <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You render it at the very bottom of your overall layout, have an empty div at the top and ONLY when in catalog view and not detail view you render the content from the bottom hidden element into the top empty one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 05, 2014 Jun 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I understand. Looks like that's the best solution currently available if a catalogue description must be used. Thanks for your time mate - I appreciate it!

Thanks Mario - looking forward to Liquid!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines