Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

White is not 'White', it is YELLOW!

Jul 30, 2012 10:19 AM

Tags: #photoshop #help #error #background #adobe #cs6 #white #yellow #yellowish #background_color #photoshop_cs6 #photoshop_cs6_extended #cs6_extended #white_is_yellow #white_is_yellowish

I have a problem with the white color in Photoshop CS6, and I know it's not my computer or monitor. Anything white colored or anything for that matter, has a yellow tint to it. What should be white, is yellow. I even tried pasting a image of white on to the canvas, but that also turned yellow. I don't think it's my color settings. I also have Photoshop CS5, but that's fine. White is white. I pasted a screen shot of my computer onto both programs. CS5 is fine, but CS6 is still yellow. I cross referenced my color settings with CS5, making sure they're the same. One thing was different from CS5. The CYMK working space is "U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2". I tried switching it to Photoshop 5 Default CMYK if that could change it to the CS5 default, but nothing changed. Even the color pickers have yellow instead of white. Gradients and Black to Yellow. It's not my computer or monitor. I want to use CS6 for my photo editing needs, but I'll need to use CS5 to do anything that needs normal color. Please help, I want to use CS6, CS6 is so cool, but I don't want yellow, I want white.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to TopGun904

Your monitor profile is probably bad. You should recalibrate and make a new one. Preferably with hardware calibration device.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to TopGun904

First thing to check is whether you have accidentally enabled Proof Colors by pressing Cmd/Ctrl+Y. It's near the top of View menu.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 30, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to TopGun904

Changing your Color preferences only set your preferences for new documents or what to do with documents that don't have profiles - they don't change the color space a given document is using.  Are you even editing in CMYK mode?

Charles is likely onto the real problem - a bad monitor profile.

• What profile is associated with your monitor at the OS level?

• Have you calibrated / profiled your monitor with a device?  If so, what model?  And what model is the monitor?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 30, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to TopGun904

Windows Update delivered some bogus Acer profiles a while back.

Anything wrong with answering my questions?  I would be able to guide you to a solution if you did.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 30, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to TopGun904

That you haven't calibrated your display and that it appears to be a "standard gamut" monitor means you're probably okay with having your system work at Windows default settings.

• Click Start, type color in the search box, then click Color Management when it comes up.

• In the Devices tab, ensure that your monitor is selected in the Device field.

• Check the [  ] Use my settings for this device box if it is not already checked.

• If the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile is not showing in the Profiles associated with this device box, hit the [Add...] button and add it.

• Click on sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and choose [Set as Default Profile].

• [Close]

• Now see if your colors look better in Photoshop.

sRGBDefault.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 7:14 PM   in reply to TopGun904

What you select in Photoshop does not matter - you have to go fix your display profile.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 30, 2012 7:39 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I guess I was just too vague.  :)

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 9:30 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I had the same problem and Noel's solution fixed it right away. Thank you Noel!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 5:26 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Thank you very much! Thanks to you, my Photoshop is working fine now. Its good to know that there is a solution to this problem that windows 8 users encounter.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I have been also having (what I think is) the same issue. When I go to curves and got to select a white point with the white color picker (or use any auto-color/contrast/tone) it turns the image dark orange. I am using cs5 and have a Dell U2410 and have calibrated it with a spyder3. I tried your method and it has not worked. This works for every image I have used. Any other suggestions

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 9:43 AM   in reply to rn2614

your method and it has not worked. This works for every image I have used

not sure what you are talking about there

but whites appear yellow in Photoshop, troubleshooting defective monitor profiles, hardware monitor calibration are all solid search terms on google

if anyone wants to use Photoshop as an 'accurate' color proofing reference monitor, they may be better served by setting a custom ICC profile as their system default monitor profile (not sRGB)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 9:50 AM   in reply to rn2614

mphoto - no, that is most likely because you changed the target points for the levels/curves adjustments and auto adjustments.

The previously listed problems were just bad display profiles.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 1:39 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Thanks Chris. I will see if I can figure out how to fix that tonight.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2014 3:49 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I'm having the same situation here, but it's not so much the monitor color profile.

Have CS5.5 and CC running.

In PS 5.5 it's normal white but in PS CC it's yellowish.

Anyone have any clue on how to fix that?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2014 6:34 PM   in reply to nixx3d

It is still probably your display profile.

But it could also be a bug in your video card driver.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points