Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

edit websites in dreamweaver

Jul 31, 2012 4:52 AM

Tags: #cs6

can anyone tell me how to use dreamweaver to edit websites that are not made in dreamweaver??....plz help.....

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2012 5:01 AM   in reply to baty gill

Dreamweaver works on local files.  To edit any website (even those not made in DW - after all, it's all HTML), you would first need to have a DW site defined with a local root folder, then you'd need to get the files (and their dependent files) into that local root folder, and finally you can then edit those files using DW.  Ordinarily, this requires some FTP connection to the remote site so that you can not only GET the remote files but also PUT them back once you have edited them.  Dreamweaver has the ability to do this - when you define your site you also specify the FTP connection details.

I suggest you also use DW's F1 Help to read about defining a site.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 5:35 AM   in reply to baty gill

See the following questions:

1. First, tell us what your skill level is with both HTML/CSS and PHP, please. 
    2. Next, have you got Apache and PHP running locally? 
    3. Do you have MySQL running locally? 
    4. Have you defined localhost as your testing server? 
    5. Do you have a remote site defined?

Dependent files are files that are required for any given page to function properly.  For example, a linked CSS file, or a linked javascript file, or an include file, or even an image displayed on the page would all be considered dependent files of the page.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 5:43 AM   in reply to baty gill

In your Dreamweaver site definition, have you defined localhost as your testing server?  What do you get when you create a new PHP page in Dreamweaver, enter the following code on it -

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

and click the Live button on the DW toolbar?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 6:04 AM   in reply to baty gill

Getting there.  Sounds like your site definition is properly set.

What edits are you wanting to make to PHPFOX?  Have you tried opening one of the pages and looking at/changing its code?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 6:28 AM   in reply to baty gill

i wanna know how do i open whole website in dreamweaver.....?? and edit whole website....like in split view.....

I don't know what you have in mind, but you can only edit ONE PAGE AT A TIME in DW.  There is no such thing as editing the 'whole website'.  Perhaps you are thinking of an administrative page that you would access through the website itself with your browser?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 7:19 AM   in reply to baty gill

You open a page by double clicking on its filename in the local file list shown in the Files panel.  If you have questions that are specific to various pages or functions in PHPFOX then you should direct those to PHPFOX support, not here.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points