Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I add different page headers on even and odd pages?

Jul 31, 2012 8:19 AM

Tags: #headers

Hello.

I'm using Indesign CS5.5 to create a print book. I would like to add a page header to every even page, and a different page header to every odd page. And have the option of hiding the page header on some pages. Anyone know how to do this? 

Thanking you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to Kratos27

You need to make sure that you have Facing Pages selected when you create a new document.

You can then add in different headers for verson and recto pages.

To have items "hiding on other pages" you need to duplicate your master page, and remove whatever items you don't want to display.

Make sure that the new master pages are Based On your first master page if you need things to update across both. This makes your second lot of master pages "Child" to the parent "Master" pages.

You then apply the second lot of master pages to pages where you don't want items to show.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to Kratos27

You should create a master page spread with facing pages. If you apply this to all of your pages, any objects you apply to the master will then be applied to each of your pages. If you want to include dynamic elements, (e.g. Page Number) you can do this by going to Type > Insert Special Character > Markers > Current Page Number.

Screen Shot 2012-07-31 at 8.29.35 AM.png

Any pages you don't want the header on, you can just not apply the master page.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points