Skip navigation
Pieter070
Currently Being Moderated

Any news on Retina support?

Aug 1, 2012 6:52 AM

Tags: #retina #retina_display

Hi,

I've been looking for news about when and if Adobe will update their platforms for the rMBP's. I've found numorous posts about Photoshop, but no news on Fireworks. I had to buy a new MBP lately and thought with the future in mind (at least 3 years) I'd would be wise to go for the retina display, but I didn't realize most non-retina applictions would look as bad as they do now. Fireworks is the main application I use every day (interaction designer) and I'm already starting to feel unhappy about my desicion to go with the retina. Pleeeaaaaase Fireworks dev, I really hope this won't take another year or so.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to Pieter070

I'm really curious what the user experience is like running Fireworks on a retina display. Can you explain or describe it in more detail? Maybe add a screenshot?

I'd imagine there'd be a mechanism built into the computer/display that would allow the application to run more or less as it does on a standard display—so, in other words, you'd see a soft-looking interface compare to an app optimized for the retina display. Then again, if you wanted to create high-resolution graphics in Fireworks, you'd want an option to view things at full screen resolution, in which case the whole interface would get shrunk down to tiny proportions.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to Pieter070

I imagine that the text in Fireworks looks ugly in comparison because the application is committed to rendering a pixel preview, not smooth vectors, and those pixels are likely being rendered similarly to the UI elements. In regards to the color picker problem, I'd suggest it could be related to the operating system, except that the documented issue with Lion and the FW color picker is with CS4, not CS5. So maybe it is a pixel scaling issue.

So does the application look significantly worse than on a standard display, or is it just failing to take advantage of the full resolution?

Also, what happens when you run the rMBP on a setting other than a scaled resolution?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 2:20 PM   in reply to Pieter070

So is the Fireworks interface usable at the highest resolution setting, or does it become too small to read or manipulate the UI elements? Also, does the color picker problem clear up at that high resolution setting?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 8:49 AM   in reply to Pieter070

Did upgrading to CS6 fix the color picker issue? I use Fireworks CS5 daily and just started to do so on the rMBP.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 2:10 AM   in reply to Pieter070

Have had same issues with UI and colorpicker, however the pipet works like it should, so I've been using that instead. I would recommand the mbpRetina; anyway waiting until FW does the necessary updates can take a long time...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points