Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Help with this font

Aug 1, 2012 12:46 PM

Pardon my ignorance:

1. Can anyone tell me what the font is being used in the attached image?

2. What is it called in both design speak and Illustrator speak when you move the letters close together like the image?

Thanks.font.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 1:37 PM   in reply to mediafred

Try Univers Bold with a -150 tracking and see what you get.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 7:05 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Not bad, Larry.  But that's Univers Bold Condensed with a track of -125 to -133 ( should be customized to fit ) at 95pt.  If you do not have to keep it "live" text, create outlines and move individual letters into place using the .png as a template.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 9:18 PM   in reply to mediafred

Basically just test drive it. I have Univers Condensed Bold and tried it but I didn't get quite the same results as John.

In order you know it will have to be negative tracking to get the letters to overlap. In the Character panel just play with the tracking. I did as John suggests and over layed live type over the image. I've never heard of any term other than negative tracking. Yes the font to fit the image needs to be at 95 pts and the tracking somewhere between -125 and -133. Adjust to fit.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 10:36 PM   in reply to John Danek

John Danek wrote:

...If you do not have to keep it "live" text, create outlines and move individual letters into place using the .png as a template.

Doesn't need to be outlined, just click with the Type Tool between two letters, hold Alt and press left or right arrows on the keyboard to change the kerning. Doing the same when all characters are selected either with the Type Tool (highlighted) or just the text object is selected with the selection tools, then this will change the tracking.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 12:28 AM   in reply to emil emil

looks like it's been kerned to me as well.

Keep it live.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to mediafred

Yes, I put tracking at -125 to -133 because -150 was too much.  Ideally, you'll want to go in between each letter and adjust the tracking for each letter because some need more tracking, some need less.  These are typography terms.  The Tracking is determined by trial and error, inputting different settings in the Character > Tracking palette.  You can micro adjust spacing between individual letters that need adjusting by using the Character > Kerning setting.  I did what Larry did, I used the .png as a template.  I then sized ( Character > Font Size ) the font to 95pt to match the template.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points