Skip navigation
Mnietek
Currently Being Moderated

lines in rasterized pdf (PS CS6)

Aug 2, 2012 2:27 AM

After opening pdf in photoshop CS6 (win 7 64 bit)  there are thin (1 px) horizontal and vertical lines.

Pdf was created by distiler from PostScript from InDesign (InDesign -> PostScript -> Distiller -> pdf).

Same pdf rasterized in photoshop CS4 does not produce this lines.

Is this a bug?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 2:40 AM   in reply to Mnietek

This has come up over at

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/products/photoshop_fami ly_photoshop

and if I remember correctly you’ll have to live with it for the time being.

But aside from that: Distilling a ps instead of directly exporting the pdf from Indesign seems a wasteful practice.

Also could you try if a pdf-X4 results in the lines, too?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

Most of the PDF/X settings result in those lines. We're still trying to get InDesign to tell us why they produce such bad files -- they're going to cause artifacts unless you disable ALL antialiasing and resampling.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to Mnietek

Print a postscript file and distill to see if that workflow has the same issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 10:58 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I assumed that as X4 allows transparencies the flattening would not be necessary (at least at pdf-export) and this might have an effect on the issue.

Mnietek, could you please post a screenshot?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 12:42 AM   in reply to Mnietek

I will try with X4 but I thought that pdf without transparency are more "secure" for sending to printing house.

But you are rasterizing the pdf, not passing it on to printers.

In any case it may make no difference, but if you have time give it a try.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2012 3:37 PM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

Either way.. If you create PDF exported direct from Indesign, then rasterize in Photoshop CS 6 then the lines will still be there. It seems to be a CS 6 problem. CS4 and CS5 Photoshop never did this.

I have to use PDF X 1a as this is printers spec. Photoshop CS6 on PC 64 bit seemes to be riddled with bugs.

It might be that I need to upgrade to Indesign cs6.

This fixed bug with black halo's around feathereed  transparent masks on  'Cut out' RGB tiffs

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2012 9:17 PM   in reply to Colourjam

We have researched the problem quite a bit. This is not a bug in Photoshop, but a problem in the way the PDF files are created.  Short version: they cannot be rasterized correctly except at a resolution equal or greater than that of the original images in the PDF file.

We are still trying to get the responsible parties together to solve their file creation issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2012 11:08 PM   in reply to Colourjam

I have to use PDF X 1a as this is printers spec.

But if you rasterize the pdf in Photoshop the printers’ specs are irrelevant for this particular task, are they not?

Have you tried to see if the issue persists when you export pdf-X4?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 12:35 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

But if you rasterize the pdf in Photoshop the printers’ specs are irrelevant for this particular task, are they not?

Have you tried to see if the issue persists when you export pdf-X4?

Ok let me explain the process more clearly, we rasterize the exact PDF of Magazine cover that was sent to printer( whose spec is PDF X 1a) , then resize and resample resolution, then use this for digital purposes (web graphic/TV etc). It is a process that we have done for a very long time and until now has never caused a problem.. That is until we started using Photoshop CS6.

To create another version of Cover in  PDF X4 is time consuming and may cause changes form original , already printed, PDF.

There are solutions that I obviously can do to prevent this from happening, but for now I thought that this CS6 problem should be highlighted.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 12:39 AM   in reply to Colourjam

I understand, for further processing of existing pdfs the issue is relevant indeed.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 12:49 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

We have researched the problem quite a bit. This is not a bug in Photoshop, but a problem in the way the PDF files are created.  Short version: they cannot be rasterized correctly except at a resolution equal or greater than that of the original images in the PDF file.

We are still trying to get the responsible parties together to solve their file creation issues.

Thanks for that.

I understand the indesign to pdf process is complex, and that layers and transparency play a big part in the make up of PDF.

These lines are always there and are so fine that they will not print.  That is until PS CS6 got hold of of it!

To make all the images as the same resolution as the rasterized PDF would be pointless and time consuming. I think I will stick to using Photoshop CS5 for now

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

But if you rasterize the PDF in Photoshop the printers’ specs are irrelevant for this particular task, are they not?

Have you tried to see if the issue persists when you export PDF-X4?

Just to answer that last question. I have just tried  PDF-x4 settings and no the problem did not persist. Everything is looking good.

Then I rasterized the x-4 PDF in  Photoshop CS6 everything looked fine..no lines!

I then played around with some of the fix ups in the Acrobat preflight panel and when I flattened the PDF all the thin lines came back. PDF would still be ok for printing though, as lines are too thin to print. It is only when rasterizing in PS CS 6 that the lines become problematic.

I have a feeling our printers do not like layered PDFs so that is why we are still using PDF X1a, and generally speaking there is nothing wrong with this format( thin non-printable lines, warts and all). It's how Photoshop CS6 is dealing with them that's the current problem.

I liked the results of PDF X 4 though, Photoshop  CS6 even managed to rasterize correctly a PDF that had CMYK , Spot Colours and  a multitude of transparent objects ( heads cut over masthead etc). Previously on PDF X 1a, I had to make sure we use CMYK only  pdfs for rasterizing, as spot colours caused problems, such as blank shapes and missing images.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 11:16 AM   in reply to Mnietek

Read the full topic.  Older versions just hid the problem better, but still had artifacts.  The problem is in the creation of the files, and we are trying to get the group responsible to fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

We have recently upgraded to CS6 and have only just spotted this major problem when printing a large display stand. Thankfully I spotted it before printing had gone too far. It seems to be a problem when rasterizing a pdf only in CS6.
    To get around the problem I had to re-do the rasterizing using CS5.5.
    Of course this is not a good situation and you would think that as time goes on the new version would not make more problems but this does seem to be the situation. We will ditch CS6 photoshop until I hear of a fix.
    Not good enough Adobe !

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2013 6:06 AM   in reply to RGLDISPLAYS

We have tried with some success to use the Flattener Transparency preset in Indesign.

Select Edit and go to Flattener Transparency Presets. Create New and use the settings I have used:

Transparency_Preset.png

I have called it PSD Transparency 25%, but you can call it what you want.

Now when you export the PDF, go to the Advanced dialog and in the Transparency setting, select your PSD Transparency 25% preset that you created.

PDF Settings.png

The Adobe PDF Preset will say modified afterwards. If you click the Save Preset button in the bottom left, you can save this PDF Preset. Now instead of selecting the PDF/X-1a:2001 preset when you export the PDF, select your newly created one instead and it should remove the stitching artifacts.

If you find you still have some stitching problem, then in the Transparency Flattener Presets, move the slider down towards the left (rasters) side a bit more to see if that solves the problem. You can overwrite or rename the Transparency Flattener Preset.

Hope this helps some of you.

Regards

Simon

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points