• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash player - Cpu usage is kinda of getting ridiculous?

Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, all. My first post here, I hope I do it well.

I'm just wondering, yet a little upset, why Flash player is asking a HUGE ammount of cpu usage.

I remember in the year 2004 a 2005 that my little cousin had my old pentium2 at 450 mhz and 256 mb memory on the OS winxp prof. With a simple video card as a geforce 2 100/200 mx with 32 mb of memory

My point: Since that year we've uploaded some video's on youtube and other places who are still online.

But in 2004 a 2005 on the pentium 2 full screen, even on that pc was no probleem. Now, today;s we cant even watch that SAME video on a pentium 4 prescott@2800 mhz with 3 gig of memory and a 512 mb ddr 3 card. THis is kinda ridiculous isn't it?. Even the 240 a 480 stutters in full screen not to mention 720p and up is impossible to watch.(even in small window)

This happens also on others system who are a amdx64 2800 to 3500 rating.

My question is really: Why is the cpu usage soo big for a flash video, while it played fine in the old days in the year 2005, on a simple p2 system. Its the same video, same resolution and the same old codec(s) lols:(

Info: Playing HD movies on the p4 or amd x64 is fine as long its locally played with a player. Only with flash or visiting sites its just rly rly slow. Its like an atari 800 xt filling the screen, line, by line.

Ofcourse all is updated to the latest.

Any way to make my cousin watch for exsample youtube again? Should be normal to watch a movie on a p4 right?

Thanks for reading.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 192 Replies 192
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your operating system & version?

What is your web browser?

What is your Flash Player version?

Do you have Hardware Acceleration enabled?

What is the CPU usage you see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 03, 2012 Aug 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, pat wilener.

Uhm: here some specs

Intel prescot 640  ( 3200 mhz, 800 fsb, 2 mb cache single core)

Browser either latest IE, Firefox or chrome. I've tried all 3.

Flash player latest ( i think its 11, pretty sure it is)

3 gig ddr2 dual channel ram 1:1 fsb/memory/cpu.

cpu usage is on 100% even small windowd.

Even have the color depth on the desktop on 16 bits. ( or 32 doesnt invluance a bit)

The screen desktop is only 1280x1024  But trying youtube's flashplayer on even a 800x600 desktop does the same. The cpu is 100% used. Checking the task manager, cpu recourses or usage its 100% always. Killing the flash movie, the cpu goes back to idle ( 1 to 6% tops)

I've hope I've provided enough info, if not let me know. I'm glad to help in anyway I can

Edit: I've tried the hardware acc on and off, it doesnt do much. Nothing really noticble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trancelistic wrote:

Flash player latest ( i think its 11, pretty sure it is)

I really need to know your Flash Player version; see http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html#main_Find_the_Flash_Player_ver...

Trancelistic wrote:

cpu usage is on 100% even small windowd.

What process is using it?  See Task Manager | tab Processes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. what is your display adapter, device driver version & date?  See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/945765

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video:

-Gefore 8600GT 256 mb ddr3 ram

-Date: 29-02-2012

-Version: 6.14.12.9610

My Flash player version:

- Win xp pro 32 bits sp3

- Browser IE or chrome or Firefox.

Cpu usage is 4 x Chrome, One arround 70 to 79 %. THe other 3 devided by the 30 a 21 % left.

Thanks for the help so far, Really appriciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2012 Aug 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have 'Spybot Search & Destroy' installed?  I just read on another forum that a user with a similar problem fixed it by disabling the SS&D Teatimer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 04, 2012 Aug 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have comodo anti spy/virus + wall installed, and defense is active But Ill give it a go.

I let you know.

Ps. What the hick? Now my flash player shakes up, when i hove my mouse over the player. I've never seen this before...

I also does it after a reboot. It gets weirder and weirder o_O

ps2: Now the sounds stutters/cracks to. I haven't done a thing meanwhile.

I let u know about the scan.

Tkx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2012 Aug 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, guys. i have the exact same issue whit flash player on crome and explorer.
around 15 days ago i found my youtube full screen start to drop 80% of frames.
start to search what was happening an found the cpu on 100% !
i have the same flash player version than "trancelectic" which is 11.3.31.222

i found a new version of flash player available but the upgrade in not possible beause the flash player installation site tells me that i've the last version. so i try to unninstall the 11.3.31.222 and download manually que last version.
i already tryed to unninstall the flash player 5 times  and its impossible even with the adobe unnistaller and deletting the folder contents ans indicates the adobe uninstall help.

so i start to think that this issue is a virus or malware. i already check the system with malware bytes, eset antivirus, avast and every cleaner available.
notting happens!!!!!
i still loose frames on full screen as never before.
i have my hp pavilion who never behave this way before.
today i tryed others players like nasa tv live and the full screen video was nasty!
this is not a hardware issue or video card insuficiency. i insist that 15 days ago every video run perfect even in 1080p full screen on youtube.
please helpme understand what is happening and why the flash player 11.3.31.222 persist on my system and is impossible to unisntall!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2012 Aug 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem with the guys above...

The problem is essentially when using Chrome and adobe flash version 11.3.31.222 (same with the guys above).

If i use firefox or IE, the problem still exists but it is slightly better (flash version for firefox and IE : 11.3.300.268

When I do 720 or 1080 my CPU use goes up to 100% and the video gets broken...

I have not had this problem some days ago!

I've also tried to uninstall and install, problem still there. I even uninstalled and installed chrome, problem still persists.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and a similar time frame.  It makes me think it was a problem with and update or a virus.  It came out of nowhere with no changes that I conciously made.  My cpu usages spikes which causes overheating and eventual crashes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the fact that we all seem to be have having it around the same timeframe, it doesn't suggest a virus to me, but an automatic update on adobe's part.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few things to try here.  First, for Chrome issues, please report this as a bug at http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/list

For bugs that are against IE, Firefox, Safari or other browsers, please enter a bug at http://bugbase.adobe.com.

Next, I'd recommend trying to disable hardware acceleration to see if that makes a difference.

How do I disable or enable hardware acceleration?

Finally, on Chrome, try disabling the PPAPI version of Plugin to see if it's "Pepper" related.  If so, please note this in your bug report on the Chromium bug base.

1. Navigate to "about:plugins" in the Chrome address bar
  2. Click the Details link in the upper right part of the page to expand all items
  3. Locate the "Shockwave Flash" entries (there will be 2 or 3 of these)
  4. Click "Disable" for the PPAPI copy (most likely the first one listed), which has a version number of 11.3.31.222
  5. Restart Chrome for good measure and try again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have similar issues as the OP and have seen same scenario play out over the past couple of years. Why would it take nearly a full on gaming rig these days to get Flash to work correctly, when just  a couple of years ago it worked fine on a mid range system?  Doesn't make any sense. 

Just as recently as a year ago I was able to watch the videos streamed from Speed2 .com at full screen on a 50" plasma with no problem. Now, the video is so choppy, it's unwatchable.  I have a 30MB cable connection with 32bit Windows 7 system that is dedicated for video. No bloatware installed, only VLC is installed.  All other video formats either streamed locally or played from the host machine play fine, including HD content.  The only constant problems are with Flash content streamed via the web.  Doesn't matter what brower is used either.  Tried IE and Chrome....did all of the uninstalling/reinstalling, clearing the cashe....disable/enable harware acceleration.....makes no difference. Disappointed in Adobe though, they have turned what was intially an entertaining and fun way for me to access content I never otherwise would have been able to, into a situation that is frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An year ago, i had my amd xp 1800 ( 1533 mhz single core ) 256 mb ram@winxp , on my plasma 42 "" . All was fine

Now try it. 1 fps..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing in the year 2013 we need a I7 16 core to watch a 240 movie, and a i9 32 core to watch hd movies.

But yes.. update your drivers to fix it.:/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, i think we are getting somewhere!

I have no idea what PPAPI or pepper is, but disabling it (i.e. the 11.3.31.222) improved things a lot.. So, thanks for that!

Now I am back to 11.3.300.268 on all browsers, which make things better, but still I ain't happy.

You have got to be able to build flash in a better way... It cannot abuse two cores like that because of a full screen video...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2012 Nov 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for me the solution was to disable hardware acceleration, I am using Windows 8 and IE10 and chrome and had a very exagereated cpu usage, now it is fixed. however I think you should address this hardware acceleration issue.

THANKS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2012 Dec 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so you know Mr Campbell I have tried everything you have mentioned.

I have the latest Flash and Mozilla Firefox.

I have also tried using flash and viewing videos in safari and still no luck

I want to send debug information from Mozilla; i have done trouble shooting for safe mode and it definately shows that when I enable flash again and play videos and or music from any site that deals with flash movies/music, the cpu resources start to horrible rise to 100% usage

To the point it freezes my computer at times.

My build is simply a Fx57 CPU,

7900 GTX 512MB

Raid 0 Sata drives, 4 GBs of Ram.

I have never had so much issues running videos like this; even on my Server tower there is some issues with the flash and sudden increase in CPUsage.

I have done everything from the Plugincontainer disables to going to about:memory and clearing everything garbage collection functions and CC functions. I have tried disabling H/Acceleration.

11.5.502.110 for Flash.

17.0.1 for Firefox.

Please let me know how to send debug information via this browser, how to extract it ect.

This issue really needs to be fixed, I swear to God that even when I stop a video the resource usage drops only a few hairs and it seems to just gradually climb every few mins when viewing videos and despite stopping them it gets so bulged to the point I can't view vids at times and when I can; its just choppy, like an old slide picture show or something.

I have to restart Firefox every 15-20 mins on viewing videos on both systems

Other PC is a IBM 3.2 P4 with Hyper Threading, 4GBS of ram.. ATI.. something... IC ant remeber what it is. but its way more powerful then the GPU i have in this older PC.

and it has 1024 Total MB and DDR3 Chips.

The clock was around 680s mhz or so. or higher from what I remember,.

Sata drive config no Raid.

ALL System updates are done on both systems just for note:

ALL patches, Windows updates, ALL Drivers fully updated on each unit.

I have even tried disabling all other addons except for flash and it still lags horribly.

Best Regards,

Erick   ~ PC ER Services. ~

P.S.. Just a side note I forgot to add; BOTH Systems have high speed cache drives.. these are pretty good Hard core intended gaming rigs. I can play other games with no issues.. But.. this?

Flash lagging everything?.. this is intolerable ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In doing a few tests that also involve other kinds of media players, could it be a lack of DXVA in Flash 11+ ? A 1080p flash video streamed from Youtube through a program called XBMC with the Youtube add-in plays at 30%-60% CPU utilization, while the same video through Internet Explorer 9/Google Chrome from Sept 12' plays at 90%-100% CPU. (System specs are Windows 7, Pentium 4 3.0Ghz HT, 3GB DDR333, Radeon X1300 256MB)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I also use a Pentium 4 cpu on my PC with 800Mhz FSB being the same Prescott CPU series, but instead of a 640 3.2Ghz , I use a 650 3.4Ghz. I also use a AMD Radeon HD 4550 graphics PCI Expressx16 2.0 card in a PCI Express 1.0x16 card slot for graphics hardware acceleration, and I've been getting choppy video playback from flash player versions 11.2 and higher and had to resort to using flash player 11.1 currently. For RAM, I also use  4GB PC-5300 DDR2 SDRAM (a.k.a. memory speed =667Mhz). What's the memory speed on your RAM? Also, what's the PCI Expressx16 version on your graphics card slot on your motherboard (Is it  version1.0 or 2.0?) Perhaps PCI Expressx16 graphics card slot version or memory speed being less than CPU FSB speed might be affecting performance with the multithreading video decoding introduced in flash player since version 11.2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. THe prescots run on 200 mhz ram ( a.k 400 mhz) I've had highe rmemory so my fsb:memory  woulnd't be 1:1  ( meaning they run at the same speed)

I 've found out that 1:1  works best on my system. In a way faster ( responsive) with most things. Because my CL is lower ofcourse.

For you, You've just gotta check it.

My pci express is fully 2.0 and x16. ( got now a nvidia gts250 (ak 9800gtx) in it but no effect,flash still low fps

Greetz

Back to topic:

Chrome ( flash player) seems to stutter sound now (I've tried onboard HDac97, Soundblaster audigy2 of Creative, even my old Soundblaster live 24 bit version) , and the screen if i as much do a second tast. THis can even be in "CMD" to ping google.com Even that multitask makes flash goes nuts, If i do nothing at all, not move my mouse, I'm getting the best frame rate... and yes 99% cpu to 1 chrome task) there is no recourses left to even open CMD prompt.

THAT IS NUTS. I'm sure there is a flaw in the new flash code. ( that likes to kill my cpu)

Greetz

Ps. If some 1 might think I got now driver issues cuz I've tried other cards, then its a no. I'm experienced in removing drivers completly before installing new onces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2012 Aug 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transcelistic, go and try the trick that Chris suggested, regarding disabling PPAPI on Chrome. This would help you revert back to an earlier version of flash that makes things slightly better (but still not good). This would help you identify the issue....

I am in the same position...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Trancelistic, are you saying the graphics card slot on your motherboard is a PCI-E x 16 2.0 card slot and not just your nvidia gts250 graphics card that is a PCI-Ex16 2.0 graphics card? What's the model of the motherboard you're using so I can check the motherboard specs for myself or if it's a OEM PC, what's the model of the PC? I'm asking this because I never come across a lot of PCs with Pentium 4 Prescotts CPU with PCI Expressx16 2.0 card slots.

Can you also try to disable the sound card devices on your PC and then test flash player to see what happens because I have a win xp on one or two machines, and disabling all sound card devices seems to cause flash video playback for example on youtube to pause automatically after about a period of seconds of playback?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

feel free to email me.

Its my screen name @gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines