• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF9 - Change sort order for recordset from db (Oracle)

LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2012 Aug 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, everyone.

I'm tasked with a project part of which involves using a form to change the sort order of data retrieved from an Oracle (10g production, 11g development) database.  I've never had to do anything like this, before, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to go about it.

I've been considering using the jQuery-UI draggable feature, but don't know how to save the data back to the database.

WIth or without the jQuery-UI, what do you think is the best way to go about this?

Respectfully,

^_^

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

A co-worker suggested using the jQuery-UI for the sort, and AJaX to submit the new sort order on every change.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do it in your query.

sort by #form.order_by_field#

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry.. I didn't describe what I need as well as I thought I had.

Say I have a table for articles that all appear on a page:

ArticleID       Title          Content         SortOrder           Date

1                  Title A       Content A                 3          2012-07-07

2                  Title B       Content B                 1          2012-07-09

3                  Title C       Content C                4          2012-07-17

4                  Title D       Content D                2          2012-07-27

On the page that displays these articles, they appear in order from top to bottom:

Title B

Title D

Title A

Title C

But someone wants to rearrange the order in which they appear.

Title D

Title A

Title C

Title B

I prefer a drag n drop approach, but if that isn't possible/feasible, I'll appreciate suggestions.

Thank you,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2012 Aug 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put a JQuery table sorter on it.  It's pretty straight fwd.  I don't think you want to bounce back to the server to effect some sorting for the UI, if possible: just do it on the UI.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The client wants to be able to save the new sort order to the database.  This is for a very rudimentary CMS to affect the sort order of articles on the publicly viewed pages.

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A co-worker suggested using the jQuery-UI for the sort, and AJaX to submit the new sort order on every change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation