Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

resizing text boxes

Aug 3, 2012 2:55 PM

In CS 5, sometimes I can use the direct selection tool to resize a text box and sometimes it won't let me - the cursor doesn't change to the sizing arrows when I hover around the bottom right corner of the text box.

I've tried it when the bounding box is hidden and when it's showing. No luck. I can be working all day without problems and suddenly it won't work.

MacBook Pro. OSX 10.7.4

Thanks,

Dave

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 3:17 PM   in reply to fhdave

Dave,

Some applications have a bad habit of disturbing and confusing Illy. The usual suspects include

Quicktime/iTunes,

Quicken (Widget),

Entourage,

Google Earth,

Zune,

Some Firefox Add-ons,

Spotlight (shortcuts),

Fetch,

Hulu,

Cocktail,

Cinch,

RightZoom,

Synergy,

FontExplorer;

and there are undoubtedly others.

It may be worth finding out whether one or more certain other applications are active when it happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to fhdave

It depends on how you select the frame. To be able to resize click on one of the sides first, not a corner anchor.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to fhdave

It's hit or miss here as well.

An easier method is to simply turn on the Bounding Box if it's off, then use the Selection Tool to drag the Bounding Box handles. You can then turn off the Bounding Box again if you like.

I dislike the bounding box so I tend to use the shortcuts - Command-Shift-B, v, drag handles, Command-Shift-B. It becomes easy once you do it a while. This is much easier in my experience than using the Direct Selection Tool and dragging the paths specifically.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points