Skip navigation
dwtcrew
Currently Being Moderated

Upgrading from PE8: Transfer projects?

Aug 3, 2012 5:29 PM

Tags: #file #problem #help #error #adobe #9 #video #audio #premiere #crash #windows_7 #elements #import #10 #7 #failure #problems #premiere_elements #premiere_elements_9 #photoshop_elements #premiere_elements_10 #elements_9 #elements_10 #photoshop_elements_10 #elements_10_organizer

Hello,
I have been using PE8 for a while with little issues. I had to get a plug-in installed as i am using mp4 video files. Recently set it back up on my new computer. Only problem is the plug-in is no longer avaliable as pe8 is out dated. Now i am forced to upgrade. I am worried about the projects ive been working on for some time. Is it possible to transfer them over into pe10? Id hate to loose all my work because adobe would no longer supply a plug-in for a program that i enjoy.

Any help would be greatly appreated!

PC computer

Windows 7

Premiere Elements 8: Most recent update

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 5:48 PM   in reply to dwtcrew

Well, we usually recommend that Projects be finished in the version of PrE, in which they were started, but where not possible, older Projects usually Open in later versions, though there can be glitches.

I would make Copies of your Project files, just for safe keeping. Maybe locate the PREL files in another folder.

Also, what is the plug-in, that was needed, but now does not work?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 6:14 PM   in reply to dwtcrew

Wow, other than installing the latest version of Apple's QT Player, I cannot think of any specific plug-in for MP4 files.

Do you have the latest QT Player installed?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 7:25 PM   in reply to dwtcrew

Odd, as the MP4 format holds the H.264 CODEC, which is installed with later Apple QuickTime Player programs. I have no idea why your installation is not providing the H.264 for you.

Sorry,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 7:11 AM   in reply to dwtcrew

Curious. What camera was used to produce those MP4's?

Can you run one of them through G-Spot, or MediaInfo, and post the results of the file info utilities?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 11:49 AM   in reply to dwtcrew

As for my project ive been working on i think its lost. Still red screen with offline media.

Is the Source Media in that Project the same exact file type and CODEC?

If it is, then perhaps this article will be helpful in troubleshooting Media Offline: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/790686?tstart=30

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to dwtcrew

I would run those files through "Tree View." Here's a look at what you should see, in the way of details:

Media_Info_Tree_View.png

In this example, the file is a DV-AVI.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to dwtcrew

Just to make sure that I understand correctly, you Moved all of your Assets and Project file to an external HDD that was formatted as FAT-32? Were any of your Asset files over 4GB in size (very common with AV files)? If so, it could well be that they became truncated at the 4GB file size.

Also, as links to Assets in PrE are absolute Paths, any change (drive letter, name, folder structure, etc.) will break the links. Usually, if the Project is Opened, and there are broken links, one will get "Where is file ____ ?" This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/990503?tstart=0

At that point, if one uses the Finder function in the dialog screen, they can reestablish those links, but if they choose to Skip, or Ignore, and then Save the Project, overwriting the original, the only recourse is to manually relink each Asset by hand - one Asset at a time.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to dwtcrew

OK, with 3GB max, that should not be an issue.

In PrE, I am not sure how to relink, but will check it out. In PrPro, one Rt-clicks on the Offline file(s) in Project Manager, and then chooses Relink Media. Something tells me that I tried that in PrE for another user, and never found Relink Media. Back in a moment.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

OK, good question, and I learned something about PrE. When you have Media Offline, and the file IS still available, though the absolute Path link has been broken, Rt-click on the file in the Timeline, and choose Reveal in Organizer. Then, Rt-click on it there, and chose Update. That will bring up the Finder, where you can relink it.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 3:17 PM   in reply to dwtcrew

Hm-m, it would be odd that Adobe would remove Reveal in Organizer, but stranger things have happened. Also, the only Organizer that I have is the one built-into PrE, as I do not have PSE.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 3:43 PM   in reply to dwtcrew

In Organizer, do you see your file(s)? They will not show with the Media Offline (or did not in earlier versions), but will show with little red/green circular arrows on what looks like a dog-eared sheet of paper. If so, Rt-click on each one, and choose Update, which will bring up the Finder.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to dwtcrew

OK, if you Rt-click on just one, what are the options presented?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to dwtcrew

Sorry, but I am out of ideas. In the screen-cap, it looks like multiple Clips are Selected, but maybe it's just the shading of the Project Panel.

I can only tell you how things work for me. Maybe others will have ideas on why you cannot Rt-click on a Clip and choose Update. What options do you show, when you Rt-click on one Clip?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 3:55 AM   in reply to dwtcrew

RE:

dwtcrew wrote:

Recently set it back up on my new computer.

AND:

... bring me to this screen. ...where i could search for files. I typed in my project name.

AND:

1.png

You're searching for the wrong files. It is looking for your video clips (see the highlight I've placed top left) and you should be searching for those.

When you set things up on the new computer I expect that the file path to the clips has changed - hence the 'offline' image and the dialog box. Use the file navigation features to find and select GOPRO145.MP4. If all the files are in the same place as GOPRO145.MP4 PRE should find the rest automatically. If it doesn't look in the file search bar to see what file it is seeking and navigate and select it.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to nealeh

I agree with Neale. PrE is looking for the Source Files, which were linked to the Project via absolute Paths, which are now broken. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/990503?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to dwtcrew

now im having issues importing new clips.

Can you give us the details of those "new Clips," please?

This article will give you more background: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

It sounds like with the installation (was it a new OS, or computer?), you lost some necessary CODEC's, which are installed at the System Level.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points