Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 4 is freezing during import of photos

Aug 4, 2012 3:26 PM

Tags: #lightroom_4_freeze

The whole program is very sluggish, but when I go to import photos, is freezes while acquiring the thumbnails.  If it comes out of the freeze, when I click import, it takes 30 minutes to get one photo then freezes again.  If I cancel and close the program, it will not start again unless I restart the computer.  Help??

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 7, 2012 7:39 PM   in reply to swenson4

Having the exact same problems in lightroom 3.  It worked fine until about a week ago...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to MarkLav

I've noticed the same thing - just in the last week or so.  What I've been doing is going to the develop module and continued working.  When I do that, the import seems to start up again to continue rendering the thumbnails.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 10:44 PM   in reply to swenson4

You guys all need to supply more deatil as I believe these will all be system faults not Lightroom ones. However to find the weak link we need exact deatil of your set up and what you are doing.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 5:02 AM   in reply to Geoff the kiwi

Geoff the kiwi

I'm using Windows 7, Lr 4.1.  I import from the SD card (always the same one) using a card reader slot built into my laptop.  The situation ( I won't call it a problem) doesn't occur every time I import.  It only started to happen about the same time "Impressions in Light"  reported it.  In fact, that's the only reason I responded to the thread.  I wouldn't have reported it myself except it just started happening to me.

The "hang-up" doesn't occur during the actual import.  It occurs while Lr is rendering the thumbnails.  If I move on to the develop module, Lr starts to render thumbnails again and all thumbnails get completed - everything returns to normal.

I've been using Lr 4.1 since it was first releaed.

Doesn't seem to me like a big deal - just something strange that wasn't occuring when I first started using 4.1.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to swenson4

I recently moved to a new PC (Win 7 Ultimate) and moved to LR 4.1.

Sometimes, but not always, when I add photos to LR, it will hang/freeze while rendering 1:1 previews.

The images are already on the disk drive, at the correct location, so it's simply an add to LR.

The images are JPG files from my students, and are not very large, ranging 150KB to 3MB.

I can cancel the rendering step by clicking on the X, and then manually rendering the images works fine.

I have not had the opportunity to import from my CF cards yet, so don't know if it will occur there or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 6:45 PM   in reply to swenson4

I am using lightroom 3.   Windows 7 64 bit 12 gigs of ram.  Recently like within the last month some things have started to happen... or not happen...  First of all basically I use a sony dslr camera and as soon as i plug it into my computer lightroom would open up and ask to import...  That does not happen anymore.  The only thing that I have changed is I added a seagate external cloud drive with its software and i installed a user preset.  

Currently I import the photos with the sony software that I recieved with the camera then I select the folder and import the pics into lightroom 3. 

For some reason the newly created folder with the impoted pics shows up on my compouter in the "Pictures" folder but in lightroom it wont show up.  I have to find it somehow.

When I do find it and select the thumbnails never show up.  All that shows up is boxes with check marks next to them.  If i select import It will import to 14 percent or so then freeze up for half an hour then time out.  If i cancel the import or exit out of Lightroom it wont let me open lightroom up again...

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 20, 2012 9:26 AM   in reply to MarkLav

The cloud drive may be a suspect Mark - we've seen issues with cloud and network drives in the past.  Any chance you could disable it temporarily to check that out?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points