Skip navigation
Library Scribe
Currently Being Moderated

Reverse Type and Print Text as Black

Aug 4, 2012 9:52 PM

I made a black box and on another layer I made the type "white" by choosing "paper". On screen it looked correct.

Then I did a preflight and chose "print text as black" because I thought the text in the rest of the doc looked better with that choice.

Problem: After printing, the text in the box came out black instead of white. What should I have done? I am using InDesign CS5 on Windows.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 5, 2012 3:18 AM   in reply to Library Scribe

"Print text as black" does nothing else than printing all text as black. It's kind of hard to think of anything else it *could* mean. Yes, it looks the same on screen, but of course that is because this is a Print option, only active when printing.

Why would this make the rest of your document look better if that text is *already* black? If it does make a difference, then I suppose your "better looking" text is *not* black, and the obvious remedy is to make it so.

(That said: the Online Help clearly states

Text As Black Select this option to print all text created in InDesign in black, unless it has the color None or Paper or a color value that equals white. This option is useful when you’re creating content for both print and PDF distribution. For example, if hyperlinks were blue in the PDF version, they would print black on a grayscale printer, rather than in halftone patterns that would be difficult to read.

I wonder why the idiot-proof clause "unless it has the color None or Paper" did not apply for you.)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

[Jongware] wrote:

I wonder why the idiot-proof clause "unless it has the color None or Paper" did not apply for you.)

Wouldn't be the first time the help files were incorrect...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 5:44 AM   in reply to Library Scribe

That’s what you asked for, isn’t it? Text as black means all of the text, not just some of it.

Now, before you get horribly frustrated I suggest taking a step back in your move to InDesign.

First, buy this book: http://amzn.to/ORQqtT ; Sandee Cohen’s Visual Quick Start Guide is the best beginner book on the market. It’s the best $20 you’ll ever spend.

Secondly, check out the video training on Lynda.com. Here’s a link for a one week free trial: http://bit.ly/fcGpiI

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,141 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 5, 2012 6:23 AM   in reply to Library Scribe
    because I thought the text in the rest of the doc looked better with that choice.

In some cases default black (CMYK) will print as gray to a composite printer, so your choice to check Print Text as Black is understandable. Sounds like that's happening in your case. How a composite printer handles black text depends on your print setup and in some cases your preference settings (none of which are intuitive).

If you are printing to a black and white laser printer, choose Composite CMYK and not Composite Grayscale as your Output Color. If you are printing to a composite color printer, set your Appearance of Black Printing preference to Output Blacks as Rich Black.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to Rob Day

You can only choose composite CMYK if you’re printing to a postscript printer (unless something’s changed that I don’t know about).

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,141 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 5, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Right. For any composite printer the black preference will work.

Checking Print Text as Black is the intuitive but wrong choice. Unless you have a fairly advanced understanding of color management there's no obvious reason why black text should every be haftoned or print as gray.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to Rob Day

Rob Day wrote:

Checking Print Text as Black is the intuitive but wrong choice.

The real reason, I think, that Print Text as Black is an option is for when you are using a monochrome device to output a color file. Any text that is other than black in such a case would be rendered as some shade of gray, and light colors might be practically unreadble in grascale when they were fine in color.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,141 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 5, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I know, but it's understandable that the OP did not realize that—he just wanted black text to print black and crisp.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,141 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 5, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to Library Scribe

I think the best solution is to make a jpeg of a black box with white print and then place it in the InDesign doc.

You don't have to do that, that's why the appearance of black preference is there. Set Printing/Exporting to Output All Blacks as Rich Black

Screen shot 2012-08-05 at 4.41.03 PM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points