Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

.CR2 files won't open with Elements 9 plug in

Aug 5, 2012 11:09 AM

Tags: #9 #photoshop_elements #camera_raw_6.5

I get the following error message when I try to open .CR2 files:  "Unable to use the Camera Raw plug-in.  It is not compatible with this version of Photoshop Elements".

I'm using PSE 9.0.3 with Camera Raw 6.5 plug-in installed on Win7 32bit PC. The photos were taken with a Canon Rebel T3i which is on the compatibility list.  The camera was just purchased in January and this is the first time I've tried to open RAW.  I used the update inside Elements to make sure I had the most recent version of Elements and the plug-in.  Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

Kaye

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Aug 5, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to ek_wyk
    Can you check the plug-in update actually installed correctly. Open the Editor and click the menuHelp à About Plug-in à Camera RawYou should get a pop-up showing the version number. Press Esc to close.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Aug 5, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to ek_wyk

It should work. Before re-installing try going back one version to 6.4.1

Use the link below:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5107

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 5, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to ek_wyk

Are you using the PSE-specific install for ACR or are you using the one for Photoshop?

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Aug 5, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to ek_wyk

How are you trying to open a CR2 file. Using Organizer?

What happens if you go directly to a folder and right-click on a CR2 and choose Open With Photoshop Elements Editor?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to ek_wyk

Uninstalling and re-installing PSE is the solution, but first see the instructions in this Adobe document:

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/troubleshoot-camera-raw-photo shop-photoshop.html

K#en

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to 99jon

The 6.4.1 installer download seems to be the correct one.  I was asking about the 6.5 installer, since that is the one that seems to be in place when you get the error message, whether it was the PS version and somehow PSE knows.

After your 6.4.1 install fails you might run the Adobe Support Analyzer to see if it finds any troubles:

http://www.adobe.com/support/loganalyzer/

You can try to search your entire hard-drive for Camera Raw.8bi and find all such files to see if they are all the same size and date or if some are older or newer, and post what you find, where. 

Some of these files may be under hidden folders so you may need to go into your Explorer / Tools / Folder Options / View tab  and enable Show hidden files folder a drives.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Aug 5, 2012 1:42 PM   in reply to ek_wyk

Pleased to help.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...