Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Logo Aliasing at different resolutions

Aug 5, 2012 9:18 PM

I created a business logo in photoshop that I will be using on PDF forms. When the logo is put into the PDF it looks perfectly fine at 100% zoom 1:1 ratio.

But as soon as I zoom out some the graphics begin aliasing quite badly, and the objects develop jagged edges. The original image in photoshop was created in 706x260 pixel resolution. Is that to small, and if so is there anyway I can blow it up without having to redo it from scratch?

Is there anyway I can remedy this? See image below that illustrates the problem.

zoom example.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 5, 2012 11:41 PM   in reply to perfectblue

But as soon as I zoom out some the graphics begin aliasing quite badly, and the objects develop jagged edges.

And this is surprising why? Scaling pixel images necessitates resampling.

Creating sharp edged logos in a form other than vector seems inadvisable.

And 705x260 pixels is pretty small …

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 12:29 AM   in reply to perfectblue

As C.Pfaffenbichler said, there is niothing you can do about it. Any graphic not viewed at 100% size will show the same behavior, only the amount of artifacts will vary with the zoom factor. That's no different than using odd zoom rations in PS or any other app for that matter...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 1:30 AM   in reply to perfectblue

When the logo is put into the PDF it looks perfectly fine at 100% zoom 1:1 ratio.

Put into the pdf and viewed with what application?

is there anyway I can blow it up without having to redo it from scratch?

Did you create it with Type and Shape Layers or pixel Layers?

In the former case saving in a format that can support vector data (pdf, eps) may be an option.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 6, 2012 8:32 AM   in reply to perfectblue

Not yet mentioned is that viewing at magnifications other than 100% is subject to optimizations in whatever application you're using to view it.

Trying to judge how something looks in Photoshop at 75% zoom, you will find that there are degradations.  Further, the amount of these may differ (e.g., have more or fewer jaggies) if you have Graphics Processor acceleration deselected vs. selected.  There's even another option (Cache Levels) which can affect preview quality.

So, now knowing that what you're seeing in Photoshop at zoom levels other than 100% is an approximation, optimized for quick screen display and set up so that you can get an overview of your image rather than examine details, do you care any longer whether the preview doesn't look perfect at 75% zoom?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points