Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

HEY ADOBE, WHY IS CS6 KILLING ME?

Aug 6, 2012 11:23 AM

Tags: #cs6 #slow_operation

I'm very unhappy with the performance of CS6. CS5.5 was OK with my setup, but CS6 is virtually unusable.  I thought that if I upgraded my video card, I'd get decent performance, so I got a GeForce 580 (and a new power supply).  The improvement was only marginal.

What makes the product unusable is that EVERY TIME I MAKE THE SLIGHTEST CHANGE, AE has to do this big screen update which takes up to 15 seconds.  IT usually causes the screen to flicker (showing what's behind AE on the desktop.  I was getting this flicker even BEFORE I installed the new video card.) Then I have to click the "MAXIMIZE" button continuously until a click gets through on an idle, and finally I can do something else.  As you can imagine, this makes for pretty slow going.

I've already checked to make sure I have the latest driver and the

latest update to AE.(11.0.1.12)

Is this just a matter of not having a computer thats fast enough?  Or could something else be happening that I could fix without getting a new box?

I don't have a super computer, but its at least average, I'd say.  Here's the setup:

AMD Phenom 9500 Quad Core Processor 2.20 Ghz

8 GB ram

Windows 7 64 Bit, SP1

Operating System:Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
DirectX version:11.0
GPU processor:
GeForce GTX 580
Driver version:
DirectX support:11.1
CUDA Cores:
Core clock:
772 MHz
Shader clock:
1544 MHz
Memory data rate:4008 MHz
Memory interface:384-bit
Total available graphics memory:4094 MB
Dedicated video memory:1535 MB GDDR5
System video memory:0 MB
Shared system memory:2559 MB
Video BIOS version:70.10.17.00.01
IRQ:

Bus:

PCI Express x16

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 6, 2012 11:28 PM   in reply to McFrisco

Have you considered simply reinstalling your system from scratch? That by no means sounds normal. CS6 may suck on many levels, but at least the screen refresh works on my end.... Sounds more like a general systemic issue...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points