Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Updating Caption numbering when creating or moving Figure

Aug 7, 2012 12:06 PM

Hello,

This is regarding InDesign CS4.

I have gone through the following tutorial: http://blogs.adobe.com/indesigndocs/2009/04/numbered_lists_part_iii_fi gure.html

I would like to know if there is a way for InDesign to automatically update the caption numbers when:

1- I move an existing figure/caption to a new location in the text. For example, I move Figure_30 right before Figure_25. In which case I expect Figure_30 to become Figure_25, Figure_25 to become Figure_26 and so on.

2- I create a new figure and place it before Figure_10, in which case I expect Figure_10 to become Figure_11, and the newly created figure to become Figure_10.

I am unable to do this the way captions are set up in the aforementioned tutorial.

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 7, 2012 11:24 PM   in reply to sPretzel

I haven't looked through the tutorial, and I don't know how much you know about InDesign, so I'll ask if you know how to anchor graphics inline with text, and use the bullets & numbering functions of InDesign. If not, please look up how they work, and if you need to ask follow-up questions, I and many others would be happy to assist you.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 9, 2012 12:59 AM   in reply to sPretzel

Glad to help. Now that you're on the right track, here's something you might want to consider.

I don't know if your layout is going to look anything like this:

Screen shot 2012-08-09 at 2.44.00 AM.png

…with graphics placed between paragraphs of body text, but if so, here's what may work for you. Place the graphic in it's own paragraph, and make a paragraph style just for the graphic paragraph. My example has space before the graphic to separate it from the body text above. Use auto-leading for the graphic paragraph, because if you use an actual number, it will need to be adjusted locally if the graphics are different sizes.

Make another paragraph style for the caption, and give it some space below to give some room for the next body paragraph. You might also want to use the Keep Options of the paragraph styles to keep the caption on the same page with the graphic, if spacing would normally push the caption to the top of the following page. You can also set the graphic paragraph style to always be at the top of the page if that's necessary for your design.

If you have variations, like two graphics in a row without captions, make styles based on other styles, so you can change your mind without having to update each of the variations individually. Also, avoid basing paragraph styles on the default "Basic Paragraph," because you will get unexpected results if you copy/paste anything into a new document that has different settings for Basic Paragraph.

Sorry if this is stuff you already know, or stuff you don't care about, but it sounded like you were a bit new to this whole thing, so I thought I'd stick my big nose in your bidness.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points