Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 to RH10 upgrade issues?

Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our company is considering an upgrade from RoboHelp 8 to RoboHelp 10 (now that RoboHelp 9 is no longer available directly from Adobe). From the Adobe site, I see that they offer an upgrade path directly from RH8 to RH10 for $599 instead of the $399 for an upgrade from RH9 to RH10.

However, I'm interested in learning about any issues that others might have encountered when upgrading from RH8 to RH10. Does anyone have information to share about this?

Thanks for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter Grainge's RH10 Tour is a good place to start (see the link below). The trouble is that no one can tell you whether you will hit any issues when you upgrade. There are too many variables that can affect things. The best thing is to download the trial, take backups of your projects, open them in RH10 and see for yourself. If you find anything, you can always ask a specific question here.

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh_tour/index.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the link to the RoboHelp 10 tour, but it only displayed three tabs and no content. Peter G., is the tour still available?

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Try again and try another browser. I will check tomorrow.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working fine for me. Did you get access?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Peter.

In IE 9, the Contents, Search, and Print tabs appear with a blank screen. When I click the tabs, the javascript void message appears.

In Chrome, the Waiting for www.grainge.org message appears ... forever.

In Firefox 14.0.1, the screen is blank. When I press Enter, the main page flashes and then goes away.

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just opened the tour in all those browsers with no trouble. It sounds like a firewall issue at your end.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Peter. I'll check with our IT department.

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter -

Thanks for the quick reply. I've already taken a look at your tour and at the two issues that you've identified in your page called Using RH10. Also, I realize that each project will be different and that downloading the trial is the only way to test it for our own projects.

What I was looking for was an indication of whether other users have encountered any specific problems so far. The release is so new that I haven't seen many posts in the forum so I was trying to get a feel for how smoothly the upgrade process has been for others.

In addition, I've spent quite a bit of time upgrading a project from RH7 to RH8 due to the changes in list formatting. In fact, I'm still working on that transition and I'm far from done. I knew that the manual steps would be necessary for that upgrade, so I wanted to find out whether I'd need to perform any manual intervention when I go from RH8 to RH10. From the descriptions of the changes, I don't see anything that would require manual intervention, but I wanted to check to make sure that I wasn't missing anything.

Just one more thank you - the forum and your posts and site have provided lots of answers over the years. I appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL as you have thanked me for the reply Colum posted.

I only know what I see in the forums about the experience of others and you have pointed out there haven't been many posts. I think if the early adopters were seeing problems we would have heards something but really it is just too soon.

Rh8 was a nightmare for lists because of the code change. Anything going from an earlier version direct to 8 or later will hit the problem but once cleaned up in 8, then future upgrades should not be affected by that issue.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mea culpa! After I clicked Post, I realized that I'd addressed my response to Peter.

Of course, I need to aplogize and send many thanks to Colum for his numerous helpful responses and posts to the forum as well as Peter's.

I'll recommend to our team that we download the trial version and keep an eye on the forum to help us decide whether to purchase and upgrade.

Again, I appreciate the quick response from the experts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2012 Aug 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem eporter55. I take solace from being compared to the great and illustrious Peter even if his (and others) contribution to these forums is way ahead of mine. 13500 posts and counting! Peter I dread to think how many you'd get to if you ever retired full time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing like Rick's count when you look at his two logons and add the counts that got lost with forum changes along the way.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed. Over to Rick to bow to a higher authority if there is one. If there is, he will know 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL on the post counts. Keep in mind this is only what, the fourth or fifth different incarnation of the assorted forums we have all been part of through the years? So our counts reflect JIVE forums only. Remember, there was the Macromedia forums before that, and two differernt forum platforms used under Blue Sky/eHelp.

Man, I'm feeling old... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geezer!

;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp