Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi all, How do I create an outline around text please

thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

In the Appearance panel highlight the Offset Path as shown above and from the Object menu select Expand Appearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add a stroke? This is a very general question without any real information for us to go on. What OS; what version of AI; Live text; outlined? Do you know about the Appearance panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appologies, I'm using Illustrator CS5.

What I'm after is an outline say 5mm around the entire letters I've got.

thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows XP too.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someting like this?

Screen shot 2012-08-07 at 1.06.27 PM.png

Set the text; in the Appearance panel, add a new stroke(bottom left button). Highlight the new stroke in the appearance panel and use Effect>Path>Offset path

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply all.

I think the way I used to do it was that of Larry's way.

Sorry but where do i start as I don't understand what you mean by set the text?

I've got the text wrote out and that's where I'm at.

thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Writing the text is what Larry meant. You've got that step down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By "set the text" I mean write out the text as you have done. Then, with the text selected, follow the directions as above. Add a new stroke using the Add A New Stroke button (lower left of the Appearance panel) or the Add A New Stroke from the panel flyout. Then highlight the Stroke line in the Appearance panel and from the menu Effect choose Path>Offset Path. In the dialog that comes up, use an appropriate value (I used 0.05 inches in my example). You may need to increase the Tracking of the text in the Character panel to allow room for the stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Larry, thank you, I've done that and it is now how I want it in illustrator but another problem has occured.

I'm looking to cut this design out on my vinyl cutter and have the cutstudio plug in already installed into illustrator.

I clicked the buttom which opens the design up in the 'cutstudio' software but it appears in 'cutstudio' without the outline.

What can I do please?

thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Appearance panel highlight the Offset Path as shown above and from the Object menu select Expand Appearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2012 Aug 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cheers Larry, much appreciated.

This created the outter outline.

So I simply select selected the text and clicked 'outline text' in my cutstudio window.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can see here that you can simply apply a stroke to live text by double clicking the stroke icon in the bottom left of the toolbar and selecting a color. I chose red.

Screen Shot 2012-08-07 at 1.04.29 PM.jpg

If you select the text, then go to Type > Create Outlines, you get more options in the stroke palette, like whether the stroke is aligned to the outside or inside of the text object's boundary. The text below is outlined with the stroke aligned to the outside.

Screen Shot 2012-08-07 at 1.05.38 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines