Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Printing problem: epson R2880 , CS5 + 6, OS Mountain Lion

Aug 7, 2012 6:50 PM

Tags: #crash #cs6 #photoshop_cs5 #mountain_lion #printer_profiles #epson_r2880

Hi There,

First of all apologies if this is in the wrong thread, If so, could an admin please move it to a correct one?

I have searched google and these forums for an asnwer but am still having the same problem.

Since upgrading to Mountain Lion (from Snow leopard) my prints are not coming out well at all, it's mostly the reds which ae not vibrant at all, and coming out very orange.

I have tried numurous variations of settings:

photoshops manages colors, printer manages colors, relative,perceptual, made sure printer maanages colors is off, different paper types etc.

*I took screen shots of every setting to match to the prints so can post if neccesarry

I have also tried printing from Preview and LR 4, still having the same problem.

I even tried printing on a different machine with Snow Leopard installed (but was foreced to update to the latest Epson driver (9.0.2).

Does anyone have any idea where the problem could be?

I've been trying to print my portfolio for an important meeting and this has taken up about a full day of trial/error tests.

Printer: epson R2880 (Px 5600 in Japan) Driver (9.0.2)

Paper: epson Photo crispia / Superfine Matte (making sure to switch out the matte blak and photo black cartridges eveytime)

SW: CS5, CS6, LR 4

Thanks in advance,

Jake

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 8, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to JakeHTokyo

MANY MANY print drivers and supported devices have been hamered by the release of Mountain Poop. Try and contact Epson to see if they have the latest driver for your printer.  Many drivers are still being developed as quickly as they can.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 9:50 AM   in reply to JakeHTokyo

Hello,

I just upgraded to Mtn Lion and can no longer print from Photoshop.

iMac 27", CS5 and Epson 837.

I can print documents fine but as soon as I try printing something from PS it crashes.

Can convert things to PDF and print but there's no color managment or page placement capabilities.

Help!

TIA

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 11, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to Photoflight1

Out of curiosity, Photoflight1, have you read the post just above yours in this thread?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

Hello.

Yep I read them all but not being a computer scientist I don't quite grasp

the importance of drivers when it comes to the differentiation between

being able to print documents and PDFs from the computer and not being able

to print images from photoshop.

Do you ?

Any help is welcome.

Bill F

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 11, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to Photoflight1

I didn't quite understand (my fault; I see that now on re-reading) that you said you are able to print okay from other applications, just not Photoshop.  Sorry for the miscue.  You certainly should expect it to work.

Have you tried reinstalling the printer driver (e.g., going to Epson.com and downloading/installing the printer driver they provide for your printer)?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I have exactly the same problem with PSE 9 , and Epson were as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Have now downloaded a trail version of CS6 in order to test some prints, but i need to change the gamma and there is nowhere to do that.

Its got to be a compatibility problem with the software as it was okay on windows 7, before I changed to a Mac (Grrrr)

Phil.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 12:24 PM   in reply to JakeHTokyo

I have exactly the same problem as JakeHTokyo. I have just upgraded with a new Imac which came with Mountain Lion. I am a botanical artist and therefore my colour prints need to be exact and this I could manage well before. I have Photoshop CS5, my printer is an Epson R2400  and I am using Hahnemuhle Photorag paper. I urgently need to get this print done, where reds are used (a Camelia). First of all the colours were weird, then dark and browny and now the red is orangy and doesn't look anything like the picture on the screen - or the original.

Does anyone please have any suggestions as to what I can do. UNfortunately I am no nurd although fairly computer literate, so simple intructions would help me. I would be grateful for any advice please.

Gaynor

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 8:52 PM   in reply to JakeHTokyo

I've just switched over to mac.  I was very pleased with prints on the old PC, but am having little luck so far with the mac.  I thought it was a setting I'd missed but am thinking otherwise since reading this.

My brighter tones are almost acceptable, but the darker tones are too dark and not the correct hues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My hardware/software is as follows:

Macbook pro Retina 15"

OS X 10.8.2

Photoshop CS6 v13.0.1

Epson R2880

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 12:40 AM   in reply to Allen Gervais

Hi there

I have achieved success great success with the following settings ..

Although I am using a specific paper and ink (Lyson/Marrut) I am not using their custom profile, so no guarantee it will work for your ink and paper type.

Printer manages colours

Perceptual

In colour matching make sure "Epson colour controls" is checked

Now go into the drop down print settings menu

Paper is premium semi-gloss

Superfine 1440 dpi

Adobe RGB

Click on the advanced tab and change the gamma to 1.8

This worked like a dream for me and even the paper and ink compant said their profile could do no better.

If that doesnt work then its hit and miss and playing around with the permutations, oh and your will get no help from Adobe or Epson .. they we both as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Good luck

Phil.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to philquv

Adobe can't help you much with driver bugs.

You really need to talk to Epson.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 8:51 PM   in reply to philquv

i have tried printing via the Preview App, this gives much improved prints and suggests that the driver is ok. it is Adobe that needs to get its act together.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 11:33 PM   in reply to unckimmy@

No, it means that Preview doesn't use the same printing APIs.

This is just a simple printer driver bug. Talk to Epson so they can help you get it resolved.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 12:44 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Once again, Mr.Cox: I am impressed by your restraint and equanimity.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris, Thanks for your reply.  The problem is that I and many others are now completely frustrated as both yourselves and Epson are telling us its not their problem and go talk to the other!

So I have no where to go. I take photographs and use software / hardware to produce images , I am not able to resolve interface issues between two major companies.

C'est la vie!

(no reply from cpfaffenbichler required, he adds no value to the discussion)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to unckimmy@

And what value was provided by calling for an act to be gotten together?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to unckimmy@

What you have described is a problem with the printer driver, a problem with the color profiles, or a user error in configuring the print settings.  Other users are getting high quality prints from Photoshop without problems.

This is not an issue between Adobe and Epson.

This is only between the user and Epson.

But: "printer manages color" is rarely the best quality.

Adobe RGB is a mistake there, as is gamma 1.8.

That still sounds like there is a significant error in the printer driver and how it handles color and application color management (which is the more accurate route).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

We have the Adobe CS5 Suite. We recently upgraded our MacBook to OS 10.8.2. I have an Epson, but a different model, a Stylus CX5800X.

Every time I now attempt to print from Photoshop the program crashes. I found this thread, read all the comments and suggestions. I went to Epson to see if I needed a driver update. Epson’s site directed me to use the Apple Software Update feature, which says there is no Epson update available or needed.

Which leaves me where I started … with a printer that has no problems functioning with any application other than Photoshop CS5. I can print fine when doing so from Word, Preview and other programs including Adobe Acrobat.

Forgive me, I'm no geek, but I find it logical to presume whatever lines of errant code are causing this problem are associated with Adobe Photoshop CS5. Perhaps if someone could offer a cogent explanation for why it cannot possibly be a Photoshop glitch as opposed to simply insisting it MUST be a driver problem it would help matters.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 5:17 PM   in reply to TruexWhite

Did you install all the updates for Photoshop?

With updated software, the vast majority of crashes we've seen in printing are in the drivers for the printer.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 9:02 PM   in reply to JakeHTokyo

I may have finally resolved this for myself--at least my R2880 prints are looking like my OS X Mountain Lion display instead of looking like old dirty Victorian-era paintings.

I have been using my ColorMunki Photo to calibrate both my display and printer, without real success. Today I did a lot of printer jet cleaning. I also created a Illustrator with the color names--red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, yellow, white and black--in large print and the approriate color. I did discover, after not using my printer for some time, that some of the inks simply were not printing and others were not printing well. I removed the cartridges and shook them until I could hear the small "tinkle" sound.

Next I used the ColorMunki to create a new printer profile. At one point the profile app requests that you turn off all "automatic printer settings". I've always found this confusing (and I'm a UX developer). In the past I'd just select "ColorSync" and no special profile. This time I selected "Epson Color Controls". I also verified that "Print Settings" and "Paper Configuration" settings were defaulted. Once the profile was created I tried using it from Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4. I got the same muddy print when I selected Photoshop (or Lightroom) manages printing and the profile.

Then I tried using the "Managed by Printer" setting. In the printer dialog box I selected ColorSync and the profile I just created. This time the prints looked great! I've been using Mountain Lion since its release and I think this is the first time I've gotten a satisfactory skintone print.

So...

1) Create a printer profile with the printer handling the profile. Or, get a profile from the paper supplier. I use Red River Paper and they have profiles for their papers and most printers.

2) When printing let the printer manage color.

3) In the Print dialog box select "ColorSync". Then select the profile you created or the one you downloaded.

For my R2880 step 3 occurs in the "Color Matching" panel. Once you select ColorSync a "Profile" popup menu then appears.

Not sure about other printers but hopefully the hint of using "printer manages color" and ColorSync + profile gets you headed in the right direction.

BTW, I do like my ColorMunki Photo. My third, and hopefully last, profiler.

Kevin

kevin (a.t) trogon (d.t) com

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 9:12 PM   in reply to kevin...monahan

I'll give this a Try.

Thank you for the great rundown!

Al

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 9:22 PM   in reply to kevin...monahan

If printer color mangement works and Photoshop color management doesn't - that means there is a problem in the printer driver.  That option is usually the lowest quality, and adopts all the "secret sauce" (aka, you never now what you'll get) in the printer driver.

For Epson drivers, their "16 bit" option has been known to cause problems.

If that is on, turn it off and try application color management again.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 9:41 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I've alwasy selected the 16-bit output since I tend to output 48-bit TIFFs from Lightroom when I want to edit in PS. I just printed my test image as you suggested and wow, the colors look quite nice. FYI, I did use the profile that I created.

I'd suggest anyone with similar problems first try what Chris suggested before doing what I suggested.

Thanks,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 9:55 PM   in reply to Allen Gervais

Just make sure you see Chris' reply to my original post, about not selecting "16-bit" in the Epson driver settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 10:46 PM   in reply to kevin...monahan

Epson's internal 16 bit option isn't directly related to sending it 16 bit/channel images.

Apparently it changes their calculation path, and introduces bugs in their color management.

(and yes, we've been talking to them about their bugs)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 7:50 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Apologies for the legth of this post but it needs it.

For 3 years I have struggled to get a B&W print without a magenta colour cast.

My old printer, an Epson 1400, only had 1 black so I thought this was to blame and bought a new Epson R2880 with 3 blacks earlier this year..

My setup is

CS5

Fotospeed paper

Fotospeed Crystal dye inks

Profiles for each paper.

A calibrated screen

Windows 7

All drivers etc are up to date.

Because it was originally loaded with Epson inks, I used the Advanced B&W (ABW) setting to print B&W photos, which were actually very good considering I wasn't using Epson paper. When the Epson ink ran out, I changed to Fotospeed Crystal dye inks with profiles.

I have successfully printed colour photos with the new setup for a couple of months.

Yesterday I had a batch of photos to print so I set the system up to Photoshop Manages Colour etc (PMC). ( I know what I am doing here)

The first, a colour print, printed OK.

Because the second was a B&W, I did a test print using ABW and then a test print using PMC. The ABW had a magenta colour cast, the PMC printed B&W so I printed actual size with PMC and it worked great.

The third photo, another B&W, I again used PMC and did a small test print - it printed magenta. This was only minutes after printing photo 2.

I did the usual messing around with perceptual and relative col. and quality and max. quality setting, PSD v Tiff etc. and everything came out magenta.

Shutdown PC and went to bed. Printer remained switched on to save on ink cleaning routines.

Today.

Booted up PC.

Did a small test print using PMC and it came out B&W - no colour cast. ??????

Printed full size and it came out B&W no colour cast. On checking the print I noticed some blown highlights so went back into CS5 and did some adjustments to recover the highlights.

Tried a small test print with PMC and it printed magenta. Again, only minutes between the two prints and it goes from B&W to magenta.

Closed everything down and did a PC restart. Tried again with PMC and still magenta.

Several magenta attempts later and I nearly gave up the will to live.

Had a brainwave - I have Canon Digital Photo Professional on my machine as I use Canon cameras so I tried to directly print from the Canon software.

If this printed B&W then it would indicate a problem between CS5 and Epson. If it didn't work then it would absolve CS5

The software allows you to select paper profiles etc in a similar way to CS5 and I also set up the Epson software as no colour adjustment (just like when you use CS5)

Tried a test print and it printed B&W.

Went straight away into CS5 and printed the same test photo using PMC and it printed magenta.

Went straight back to the Canon software and printed a full size print and it printed B&W.

Can someone from Adobe please explain why

CS5 and the Canon software must be using the same print driver yet one of them is successful and the other isn't?

Why, when using CS5 to manage colours, two prints, two minutes apart can change from B&W to magenta?

It suggests to me that the CS5 software is not handling the Epson driver correctly (or vice versa) and double profiling is occuring. In any event users of these products should rightly expect one of you to pick up the ball and run with it and not just blame each other.

So my third question is - will Adobe run with the ball?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points