Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

FCP .mov in CS6 (Windows)

Aug 7, 2012 7:27 PM

Tags: #pro #premiere #7 #cut #cs6 #final

Got a project sent to me that was started in FCP7 and I'm a Premiere CS6 user on Windows 7 64.  I am testing the XML import option in Premiere, which seems to work fine, except that the .mov files don't import.  I get a "Codec missing or unavailable" message.

Installed the latest version of QuickTime and it still doesn't work.  Files play audio but no video in Windows Media Player and QuickTime.  Files play fine in VLC.  Is there a specific codec I need for .mov files created with Final Cut to work in Premiere?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 7, 2012 7:33 PM   in reply to Jack Banatoni

You may need to install QT Pro if the files are Prores.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 7:42 PM   in reply to Jack Banatoni

maybe use gspot or mediainfo to see what codec in in the file..could be animation in QT file, or any number of things...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 7:43 PM   in reply to Jack Banatoni

HDV can capture to ProRes in FCP. I'm not sure why they would. I'd check with the FCP editor if possible, might save a lot of guess work.

Is this the standalone installer you mean?:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Apple_ProRes_QuickTime_Decoder_1_0_ for_Windows

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 7:52 PM   in reply to Jack Banatoni

It's seems likely that the FCP editor used Apple's Intermediate Codec. Which sadly doesn't work on windows. It used to be used to capture HDV footage.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 7:10 AM   in reply to Jack Banatoni

My experince with Final Cut Pro is pretty minimal. However I think that if you use FCP 6 or higher you can capture stuff as ProRes and ProRes plays back great in Premiere. I use it everyday because the BMD hyperdeck studio that we record our studio stuff too uses it.

From what I understand though with Final Cut people capture the HDV footage and then Transcode it to either AIC or ProRes if they so chose to do so. Here is the article where I read this. Keep in mind though I'm not a final cut guy. So someone else here might be able to provide a better answer.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2704?viewlocale=en_US

http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/professionalformatsandwo rkflows/index.html#chapter=2%26section=4%26tasks=true

But I'd basically just ask them to stop transoding the footage to AIC. Although it would be good to ask them if they are chosing that option just to be sure thats what is going on. But since your codec info says HDV and it won't play the AIC codec is the only option that makes since to me. Since as far as I know it's pretty much one of the only formats that PC's can't read at all. I actually got some footage from someone awhile back that was AIC and I experinced the same problems you have mentioned.

So anyways just ask them to start using ProRes instead of AIC and you won't have this issue anymore. It's somewhat silly to use AIC if they are though conisidering it loses more quality that ProRes although it's possible they are using some really old version of FCP that doesn't support anything besides AIC.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points