Skip navigation
NewbieTechWriter
Currently Being Moderated

FM 10 "Unusable Fonts"

Aug 8, 2012 8:20 AM

Hello again everyone.

I have a book with multiple documents and the ToC needs updating. However, when I tried to update the ToC, it says that one of my documents uses "unusable fonts". Here's the thing, it's using Times New Roman. I have tried changing to another common font (Arial), changing back to Times New Roman, .mif washing, and creating a new book and importing the same documents. Nothing's worked. Any suggestions?  Thanks.

-NewbieTechWriter

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 8, 2012 9:01 AM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

Are you sure the message is "unusable fonts" not UNAVAILABLE fonts? If unavailable, the message should tell you which font is unavailable.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

Since you have FM10, it's easy to see which fonts are unavailable by opening the Fonts pod (View> Pods> Fonts). A little red "X" (actually, it's two crossed arrows) appears to the left of the font name. Then, you can click on the Replace Fonts icon to open the Replace Fonts dialogue, where you can easily change out the missing font.

Unavailable fonts also show in the Console window for all versions of FrameMaker.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 2:02 PM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

Unavailable fonts can reside anywhere in the document, including reference and master pages. I have discovered cases in which a font instance is simply turning the font on and then off again with no content in between. This happened when our company switched from using font A to using font B. Even though the content on the body pages was all font B, FrameMaker still said font A was being used. I had to export the document as mif, then open the mif file in a text editor to find about two instances of a font A toggle on-off. Those were the days before font pods.

There is a possible explanation of how your font got changed to the PostScript version. You say you are the sole author, so this may not apply. But suppose the document was sent to a third party who did not have the non-PS version of the font. The third party opened the file and got a message that the non-PS font was not available. So, the third party turned OFF rememeber missing fonts, reopened the file, and FrameMaker replaced the non-PS version with the PS version. Then the third party saved the file. You get the file back, open it, no PS font available. To get it back to your non-PS version would be to turn OFF remember missing fonts in the preferences, open the file (the non-PS version replaces the PS version), then save the file. Then turn ON remember missing fonts. Turning ON remember missing fonts, allows you to edit a file that uses a font you do not have; when it is opened on a machine WITH the font, the document is happy. BUT you say you are the only author. So, this explanation may be a long shot.

By the way, PostScript is a language for describing pages. It is used primarily by digital printing houses and PostScript printers. PostScript fonts are fonts described in the PostScript language and are typically better quality than non-PostScript fonts.

Van

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points