Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can a muse subscriber reconfigure the forms widgets to something other than BC?

Aug 8, 2012 8:58 AM

Can a muse subscriber reconfigure the forms widgets to something other than BC?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 8, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to Colin Langshaw

Forms on the web require two pieces: The form that users input data in to, and information on how to process and what to do with the form data. Muse outputs standard HTML forms that are configured to work with Business Catalyst so that you can take advantage of some of the cool features they have to offer like the CRM (Customer Relationship Manager) database. It will manage and handle the processing and storage of the data for you and with a Web Marketing plan you will be able to access and store additional information on these contact requests with ease.

That said, if you are not hosting your site on BC, as I said Muse outputs a standard HTML form. After exporting the code, you can modify the form element that we output to point to whatever processing code you have set up to handle the data. As for processing the form on the server, that is something that will change based on your environment and we won't really be able to assist in that portion. But the short answer is, yes. Since the form is just a standard form, you could modify the exported HTML to point to a different service of your choosing.

Do note that, by default, we display a warning when a user tries to submit a form saying that this form hasn't been configured to work. When you reconfigure your form, you'll want to remove this code so users don't get this message.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 1:48 PM   in reply to Andrew Hushbeck

Hi Andrew,

Could you make a guide how to make the form work without Bc, currently exported my website to DW

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to Ferry55k55

Unfortunately I'm not able to do so. The process will vary based on the configurations of your host, what you want to do with the data, and what software is used on the server. There would be no way for us to create a helpful guide on how to modify your form after it has been created in Muse.

Form processing, depending on the above, can be a non-trivial task. There are guides out there that offer more targetted help based on the programming language you would need to code the form processing in, what you wanted to do with it, and on helping secure your form to prevent exploitation and the hacking of your server. Note though that these will be code heavy, and we can't recommend any in particular. We highly recommend the use of BC so that we can take care of the code for you, but if you are unable to do so for one reason or another, you should know that this task isn't for the faint of heart when it comes to coding.

An alternative is still the use of services like Adobe FormsCentral, JotForm or Wufoo which will handle the form processing as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 3:33 PM   in reply to Andrew Hushbeck

Well I just want to have a basic contact form whitch send me a E-mail with what the client have asked. What is the best option for that?

Added: the Jotform works! jeej

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 8:55 PM   in reply to Andrew Hushbeck

I tried Jot-Form. It worked beautifully! Looks like I don't have to quit using it if I don't pay a subscription either. Thank you so much for the suggestion! I have it bookmarked!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 8:33 PM   in reply to kgrafix

Is there a way to have my client post a monthly newsletter to the original page? The other choice would be a link to download a PDF, but that isn't working either. Let me know here - what can I do?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 12:58 PM   in reply to Andrew Hushbeck

Andrew: I have a simple web site and want to have a contact us form with Captcha for security. Looking at the Business Catalyst price list, it appears you cannot get this feature without paying for a Web Marketing level account- vast overkill for this little site. Am I wrong?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to DavidLaufer

webBasics hosting ($5.99/month) includes web forms (including captcha support). It would be helpful to know what web page(s) led you to believe otherwise, so I can recommend they be modified.

Web Marketing adds E-mail marketing and Customer Response Management functionality (among other things).

With a webBasics hosting plan form submissions are sent to one (or more) e-mail addresses for the business owner to process however they choose. No access to the integrated database and e-mail marketing functionality in Business Catalyst is provided.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 3:04 PM   in reply to DavidLaufer

Zak: here is the price grid that seems to indicate that reply forms with Captcha are not available for the lower end plans. I am really enthused by Muse, but having a hard time blundering through such a mountain of forum questions to get simple things resolved. I do zero code, but love doing in Creative Suite. I must say that, while your progress is impressive, Adobe Customer support seems needlessly complex. I use GoDaddy, and they make it very easy.

http://helpx.adobe.com/business-catalyst/kb/detailed-plan-breakdown.ht ml

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 4:05 PM   in reply to DavidLaufer

Thank you. This page is confusing. I've pinged the Business Catalyst team to see if we can get it clarified.

What it's referring to is the fact CAPTCHA are only available in some other features of Business Catalyst when using a higher level hosting plan, but I completely agree that how it appears now implies CAPTCHA is not available with forms in a webBasics plan. That is not the case. Forms, including CAPTCHA, are part of a webBasics plan.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 4:42 PM   in reply to Zak Williamson (Adobe)

I took the plunge and tried zipform, which worked OK- does not look like the rest of my muse site, but works with my existing hosting plan. I would like to add that I find it very hard to find information about how to get a muse site hosted by Business Catalyst. It is easy to get it 'live' within the BC URL, but when I am ready to launch it under its own URL and continue with BC hosting, how do I do that? Is that part of my Creative Cloud, or not? The info is probably there somewhere, but I can't find it.

Thanks, and keep up the great work. You are on to something huge with Muse, and you will probably have to endure a mountain of picky complaints like mine to get it right, but when you do get it right, it will be transformational. Best, D

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 6:36 AM   in reply to DavidLaufer

Hello David,

I would like to confirm that Captcha does work with webforms in a lower level hosting plan. The page that you have mentioned is referring to Captcha option which you get under Site settings of the Admin panel of a Business Catalyst website.

This option (under Site settings) is available only in WebMarketting and higher site plans and it allows users to change the version of Captcha (Easy or harder to read) and also allows user to manage other Captcha settings.

Please refer to screenshot below :

Captcha.png

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Sachin

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 7:43 AM   in reply to Sachin Hasija

I have a site configured to work with BC and my own service provider (morrored sites) partly because I don't want the extra BC baggage in the address box. That being said, if I set up a simple email reply form in the site, will the form on my private site not simply direct the information to my BC site for a response?

Herb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 7:51 AM   in reply to HPaynter

HPaynter: I used Jotform to get a quick Captcha-enabled form, which is hosted outside of BC. Works fine.You can specify where responses are to be directed. Graphics are not as easily customized as in Muse, however. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 9:26 AM   in reply to DavidLaufer

Do I understand that Jotform is subscription based? Does this mean that creating a form is tethered to their servers and is only operable as long as the subscription is live? I'm looking for a closed-loop form generator that simply culls data and reports that data back to me via email. I have other tools for email campaigns etc, I just need a basic reply form.

Herb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 10:32 AM   in reply to HPaynter

HPaynter,

"because I don't want the extra BC baggage in the address box"

Any website can (and usually does) have multiple domain names (both www.xyz.com and xyz.com, for example). Once a site on Business Catalyst is upgraded either by redeeming one of the webBasics plans included with a subscription to Muse or Creative Cloud, or by upgrading to a paid hosting plan, additional domain names can be added to the site and thus your site visitors will use and see whatever domain name you've purchased and assigned to your site as the default domain name (and not the xyz.businesscatalyst.com domain name).

Form processing requires code running on the server. At a minimum this code accepts the form data from your web page form, reformats it and sends you an e-mail containing the form content using a mailer program that must also be properly configured and running on the server.

Muse forms are configured to work with the server side form processing provided by Business Catalyst. If the web page containing the form is served by Business Catalyst then the form will work. If the form is served by your hosting provider, the form won't work without developer changes to both the Muse output and the configuration of your hosting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 10:36 AM   in reply to HPaynter

HP: Jotform is a fremium model; you can use it free just by registering your email, get a username, then create your form on line. When done, it gives you a link to the code; you can either cut and paste the URL, and paste that into Muse as a linked object, or you can capture the actual code and put that in. I don't do code, so I did the former. The cool thing about it is, they give you the option to direct the user back to your Muse site, wherever it resides. So, although they go to a different URL to fill in the form, when they hit "send" it can return them to your site. www.jotform.com. I imagine that Muse will eventually either replicate this functionality within Muse, or buy Jotform. visit my site to see how a muse site with a jotform reply form works- www.davidlaufer.com

Hope this helps!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 10:44 AM   in reply to Zak Williamson (Adobe)

upgraded either by redeeming one of the webBasics plans included with a subscription to Muse or Creative Cloud

Zak: this is where I am stuck. I built a site in Muse, and was ready to have it hosted as part of my creative cloud subscription, but the URL I want to use is currently hosted elsewhere. I could not find any direction on how get my domain transferred to BC and "convert" my site to BC hosting. Can you point me toward a resource on how to do this? Thanks, David

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 10:50 AM   in reply to DavidLaufer

www.adobekb.com (which contrary to the name is exclusively Muse information).

Look at the section "Launching a Muse site to push it live".

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 2:16 PM   in reply to Zak Williamson (Adobe)

Zak,

Help me understand something please. I have both a paid subscription and a Creative Cloud -CS6 account. I also own the domain name Imageprep.net. When I publish my Muse material through BC it gets published as "http://imageprep.businesscatalyst.com" I just want my readers to go to my imageprep site directly.

At the moment all I know how to do is upload the Muse files to my existing website "Imageprep.net" to avoid the businesscatalyst verbiage. Where have I gone wrong?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 2:28 PM   in reply to HPaynter

That is covered in the second part of the Tutorial Zak mentioned i.e. http://www.adobekb.com/launching_pt02.html

Read through below specific sections:

For adding your domain "Imageprep.net" to your published site "imageprep.businesscatalyst.com", read - http://www.adobekb.com/launching_pt02.html#addingadomainname

For setting up DNS correctly at your registrar's end, read - http://www.adobekb.com/launching_pt02.html#redelegatingyourdomain

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 4:13 PM   in reply to Vikas.Sharma

If imageprep.net is a current operating site under a web hosting company, what is the procedure to switch? I have active email accounts with the other provider that I don't want to lose or confuse. Do I simply advise my current hosting company to... what? shut down the site? I don't know how this works.

Thanks,

Herb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 1:57 PM   in reply to HPaynter

If you want to transfer just the hosting to Business Catalyst and keep using your existing email services, then you can add your domain "imageprep.net" to your site "imageprep.businesscatalyst.com" as using External DNS services (rather than This Service).

You would also need to add an A-record (enabling imageprep.net to point to your BC site's IP address i.e. 192.150.2.140) at your DNS service provider's end (usually your registrar, if you have not redelegated to your current hosting provider).

For more information read this document: http://helpx.adobe.com/business-catalyst/kb/domain-name-dns---quick.ht ml Section titled: Point externally hosted domains to your Business Catalyst site

This would leave your emails untouched and only direct the traffic for your website to the site hosted on BC servers.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to Andrew Hushbeck

It's good to know that the Muse forms widget can be modified to work with other scripts, however, this still presents a problem. The modifications need to be done in another program and not in Muse, so that if I have to make adjustments to a site and then hit command-E to export the site to html, the form data gets overwritten by what's in the Muse file, thereby requiring repair each time.

What is needed is a dedicated non-BC forms widget that is modifiable within Muse. CoffeeCup Software's Web Form Builder is an excellent example of making a forms tool that will work on most servers. WFB requires that the following are installed on the server: PHP 5.3 or higher, Curl Extension and PHP Sessions. This is easy to set up by simply calling your hosting company and telling them to add this to your server or migrate you to a server with those specifications. WFB's forms work amazingly well on all Mac browsers I tested (Safari, Opera, Chrome and Firefox), and apparently also work on all current Windows browsers, although I haven't personally tested this yet.

The whole purpose of Muse is to create a web development tool that is designer-friendly and fast, without the need for learning all kinds of code. Adobe has done an AMAZING job with Muse that promises to get more capable with every version (natch) by adding the tools designers need to create modern, up to date sites that utilize current web technology. A web forms widget for non-BC servers is ESSENTIAL because not everyone will want to or be able to host client sites on BC, quite possibly a large percentage.

Also, despite the workable "Insert HTML" function, I'd like to be able to access and alter the code on site files witnin Muse before outputting them to HTML. This will allow custom changes that don't require redoing each time AFTER I export the site.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 8:21 PM   in reply to Colin Langshaw

What I did for my forms was create a copy of my Muse site file where I deleted everything except for the page with the forms (there were 2 on one page, and there are none anywhere else on the site). I kept the master, made a copy of it, and took everything out of the master. I then went to the page (titled "reach me", containing two forms, one for questions, and one for a mailing list) and selected everything and grouped it. The grouped item allowed for Muse to give me a width/height of all of the elements together. i took those dimensions and set them as the page defaults on the master i had just wiped out. i set all margins, footers, padding, etc to 0 and made it 1 column. i published the site to catalyst, and then copied the url to my clipboard. opening my site up again (the muse file i made the copy from) i went to PLAN and made a copy of the Reach Me page (as a backup, should something go awry, i called it "Reach Me-old") i opened the original "reach me" (being that all my other pages linked to it and not the copy i had just made) i wiped out all of the forms and content and inserted an html code snippet. i typed:

<style type="text/css">

#frame {overflow-x:none;overflow-y:none;border:0px;};

</style>

<iframe id="frame" src="URL" width="WIDTH" height="HEIGHT" scrolling="no" seamless sandbox="" />

* replace URL with the url you copied earlier

*replace width and height with the ones you typed in the b-master (or it might be called "A-Master copy" in your business catalyst site

this worked out just fine for me hope it helps you guys

check it out working:

ilenepricedesign.com (reach me page)

ilenepricedesign-contact.businesscatalyst.com (the page i created an iframe of)

===============

update: there were some issues with it (it worked for the most part, just some visual problems)

i created a copy muse file, deleted all except the page and the master i needed, and uploaded as-is to catalyst. i then fixed all hyperlinks on the master for the copied muse file to link back to original site and then on site linked the menu item for the page to go to the catalyst page. this works perfectly, i dont mind the url changing when everything looks the exact same. to the average user, i think you should be fine.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points