Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cutting graphic frames in pieces

Aug 8, 2012 11:06 AM

Tags: #layout

I am working in InDesign 6 and designing circles divided into pieces, like pie-charts. To do this I first created a circle graphic frame and then cut it in half with the scissor tool. Great. Now I want to cut the peices in half (to get quarters) but it seems the scissor won't work on the pieces. Does anyone know how to do this or have any alternate method?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 8, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to Politikarvackert

I had never used the scissors before but I was just playing with them now to try and find an answer... It looks like they slice the shape into two open paths. In order to cut those two new shapes I had to close the paths. So grab the pen tool, click on the end of half-circle 1, then click on the other end of half-circle 1 to close the path. Visually it looks the same but is now a closed path that can be cut again with the scissiors. You'll have to do this with each part of the circle you need to slice.

Not sure if this is the only solution, but it seems to work. cumbersome, yes, but it might work until you find a better solution!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to Politikarvackert

First off, I have no problem using the scissor tool to cut an open path made from cutting the circle. What version of ID are you using?

Politikarvackert wrote:

1. I select a half-circle (made by vertically cutting a full circle into two)

2. Using the pen tool, I first select one of the end points, in this case at the top

3. I then select the other end point, at the bottom.

The result is a strange shape, like a deformed pear or something...

This is becasue the two end points you selected have symmetrical control handles. You need to use the Convert Direction Point Tool (under the Pen Tool, or just hold the Alt/Opt key with the Pen tool active) to collapse the handles for the straight side.

Also, you can select the two end points of a path and use Object > Paths > Join rather than the Pen tool to close it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to Politikarvackert

You'd really find it much easier to  make these shapes using the pathfinder in Illustrator, which has a divide function that is not in the ID pathfinder.

There was a similar thread about a week ago with a few suggestions for "easy" ways to use ID's tools to make pie chats, if you have to.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hi, Peter S!

I've enjoyed your typos for a long time, but I enjoy talking about pie even more. This one gave me an idea about starting a pie chat room.<G>

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

Peter Spier wrote:

You'd really find it much easier to  make these shapes using the pathfinder in Illustrator, which has a divide function that is not in the ID pathfinder.

There was a similar thread about a week ago with a few suggestions for "easy" ways to use ID's tools to make pie chats, if you have to.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 7:59 AM   in reply to peter at knowhowpro

Oh, geez.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 8:17 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter Spier wrote:

Oh, geez.

I hope this isn't an intentional typo for "geezer."

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 8:21 AM   in reply to peter at knowhowpro

No, I meant cheese, which you also can cut into wedges, like pies.

or did I? 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4291658#4291658 ("A script to make pies, and more.")

Thus the "and more" also includes pizza and cheese!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points