Skip navigation
screamingaddabs
Currently Being Moderated

Converting AVCHD to another format (slow PC)

Aug 10, 2012 12:55 AM

Tags: #premiere_elements_10 #60fps

Hi all, I hope you can help.  I have searched the forum and couldn't find quite the right answer to my question.

I have a Panasonic HDC-SD80 video camera that shoots in 1920 x 1080i at 60 fps.  It has the following options:

HA, HG, HX, HE

I have no idea what difference these make, so my first question is of course "what difference do these settings make.

More importantly, I am aware that adobe premiere elements does not support 60fps.  Added to this I am also aware that my PC (2Ghz, 4GB RAM, windows 7) will be under fairly hefty strain trying to do anything with this at all.

I am not all that bothered about a really high quality video, standard TV resolution (non HD) would be fine to be honest!  As such, can anyone suggest a good way of converting the files I have into a format suitable for editing with my specs in Elements 10?

I will keep copies in HD format for the future (when I may have a better PC etc), but right now I just want to edit stuff for simple home movies and short fun films, I don't care about best ever quality, so long as it looks ok on a telly when played.

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 10, 2012 4:58 AM   in reply to screamingaddabs

Premiere Elements does indeed support 1920x1080i AVCHD at 60 fps, Adam. It's only the 1920x1080p AVCHD that it doesn't yet support. (Techncially, 60i fps is 30 complete fps while 60p is 60 complete fps.)

Just make sure you're shooting 60i at HG, HA or HX quality and you should be fine. (Those letters are just different levels of picture quality. It's up to you which you find acceptable.)

Your bigger challenge is going to be editing AVCHD with a dual-core 2 ghz machine. You might be able to do it to some degree, at least with version 10 -- but you may find your comptuer lugging if you work on a bigger project.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to screamingaddabs

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 7:52 AM   in reply to screamingaddabs

I have not used this workflow, but OzPeter posted his proxy file workflow some time back, and it might prove useful to you: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/486598?tstart=90

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points