Skip navigation
Thundordan
Currently Being Moderated

[CS6] Reverting the cursors which now have arrows in the top left corner. (like the lasso)

Aug 12, 2012 7:22 AM

Tags: #lasso_tool #redesign #photoshop_cs6 #cursor_appearance

Hello there,

I've been using photoshop CS6 since it came out of beta, and I've been happy with 99% of the interface changes, except for some of the the new tool cursors which now have arrows in the upper left corner. I've been meaning to post this a while ago, but it seemed that the forums were offline.

One example is the crop tool, but what mainly hinders me are the lassos and paint bucket cursor icons. Is there any way I can replace those with the original ones from cs5 and prior?

When you pick up a tool, and it has an icon of an object (i.e. a lasso), your instinct is to look at and use the tip of that object, not some little black arrow in a corner.

For example, you wouldn't want to have an arrow next to your text cursor, or next to your magic wand cursor, would you? You'd want to use the tip of the wand.

I'm not sure what part of the user community suggested these little arrows be added on those tools, but I find it to be a bad design idea. And it's an annoying choice imo, beacause it doesn't make sense from an interaction design point of view, and not because it would be hard for me to get wrid of my habit of using the tip of the lasso, and to get used to the arrow instead. It's bad, because now, there are two conflicting pointers in the same tool: the icon tip and the arrow tip.

Cheers!

[EDIT] I'm sure people will say that they prefer the new design, arguing about "design consistency" and whatnot. So this is why I ask if there's a way for me to replace the cursors in my photoshop, not everyone's.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 12, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to Thundordan

No, unfortunately they cannot be reverted, as far as I have been able to tell.  It's probably something Adobe should have put in an option for.

I can only say hang in there - it's something you can get used to if you use Photoshop CS6 long enough.  I have, and in my case I've been using it pretty much exclusively since the very start of the Public beta in April.  I now find that using an older version seems a bit weird.

Companies seem to think they need to make things look and feel different, or people will accuse them of not doing enough to justify a whole new major version release.  Fortunately, much of Photoshop CS6 actually works like its predecessors, so we're not saddled with an entirely different application to learn again.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 9, 2012 6:04 PM   in reply to Thundordan

I agree . I HATE the text curser. For the most part I like the iterface chnages, but why is there an arrow on the text curser???  The " I " curser used to aligh the  text exactly where you placed it, now you have to guestimate .  Adobe - allow some choices here. Anyone have a workaround or fix? I tried precise cursers and teh arrow is still there on the  Text tool.

RW

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 9:22 AM   in reply to Thundordan

Just throwing in support for this.  I'm trying to get used to these new icon+arrow combos, but as the OP pointed out, it is incredibly unintuitive for those of us who have been using CS for years. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 24, 2012 9:43 AM   in reply to JamesJ1999

I can only suggest you keep at it.  Most have been able to get used to the new cursors.  I have been using Photoshop CS6 for 5 months now and have begun to actually prefer the new cursors, as it is slightly easier to see just what you're clicking on in many cases.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,010 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Sep 24, 2012 9:49 AM   in reply to Thundordan

Just an other un-needed change Adobe made to disrupt users work-flows. Hey it new it must be good like content aware distortion Adobe can't please every one its not their gold its their cash cow.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 24, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to JJMack

JJ, do you honestly think they did it just to disrupt things?  I try not to state things in absolutes so as not to offend others, but the cursors are actually a little better to use once you get used to them.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,010 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Sep 24, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Nole you like them and think there are better others do not agree with you. Yes Adobe did not make the change to disrupt users work-flow they made a change  so the could up the count of changes made. However the change disrupted many users work-flow for they had to get use to this un-needed change made for change sake. Also Adobe missed a couple of cursors they did not add an arrow pointer on the eyedropper cursor and they didn't add a an arrow point to the arrow pointer pointing to the arrow head. Adobe wonder of wonders.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 24, 2012 1:12 PM   in reply to JJMack

No matter what it is you're talking about you'll find others who do not agree with you.

And there are those with closed minds, open minds, and with holes in their heads.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hey Noel -

I definitely appreciate your perspective on this.  In frustration, I did a google search to see if anyone else was bothered by this change, and that's how I found this thread.  I'm happy to adapt, and I realize that Adobe has invested a huge amount of resources in perfecting their products with every rev - but I also know that customer voices are (or should be) an important part of that process.  On the off-chance that some small usability issue got overlooked in the vast number of considerations that Adobe designers and developers have to make throughout their process - I thought it might be a good idea to be heard on the matter.

I hope that's not close minded.  But it's always possible that I have a hole in my head.

-James

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 24, 2012 1:57 PM   in reply to JamesJ1999

I was actually referring to myself with that "hole in head" remark, but open-mindedness is always good. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 4:23 PM   in reply to designla

Agreed wholeheartedly. I want my old text cursor back.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to Thundordan

I really don't care what the icon looks like, but I do care about it's size. It's too big now. It's hard to see what I'm doing when I mark details in the photo. The big icon is in the way! And that's a problem.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,010 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 14, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to NomisNahoj

Perhaps Adobe should poll the users before they make changes like this. Better still would be always make the old way an option a classic mode like crop.  Adobe doesn't seem to care about users work-flows they want to make changes just so the chalk up an other change good or bad doesn't matter the count keeps going up they seem to think that higher change count is positive movement. Adobe need to start subtracting two for each new bug introduced from that count to get the true picture.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 7:41 AM   in reply to Thundordan

Would  Edit > Cursors > Precise  work for the lasso?

(This preference option does not change the text/type cursor.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 7:08 AM   in reply to Thundordan

So much this! These new cursors are mind-blowing. I guess I'll eventually get used to it (I'd switch to 'precise', but then I'd have no idea what tool I was using), but having to look at the arrow at the top left corner instead of where the paint is dripping out of the can in the bottom right is an unfortunate and unintuitive design choice (same goes for text and lasso, etc). If there was a plug-in to revert back for us stubborn 'this has been this way since [insert ancient program here], darn it!' users, I think it would be greatly appreciated... *hopeful*

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 5:40 AM   in reply to Scowling Elf

JJMack, you are so right.  I just installed CS6 suite and have spent more time this week trying to find out where stuff is or how to use something that I could use fine in 4.  I would gladly pay a license fee NOT to have to upgrade.  These random changes have nothing to do with improving our interaction with the program.  Like you said, we'd like the option of staying with the old way.  Adobe - would you please give us an update for these programs to revert the tools back to the way they were? 

So, to whomever added the arrow to the paint bucket tool, what the heck were you thinking?  We are visual people - obviously we want to use the paint pouring out of the can (like we've done for YEARS) to add the color to our work.  I'm going back to 4 - so far, there's nothing in 6 that makes me want to stay. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 11:24 AM   in reply to Graphic Squirrel

Just an update.  There is a place in the Photoshop preferences to choose the particular curser you want to use.  I don't remember exactly what I chose, but now I have cross hairs instead of the paint bucket icon, and it actually works better than the old paint bucket did.  So, while it is a pain to have to take the time to slog through all of the silly new stuff, some of it is actually okay.  Not saying I want more changes as some of them aren't that great, just that they aren't all that bad. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points