Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro CS6 issues with .MOV files

Aug 13, 2012 2:41 AM

Tags: #premiere #cs6 #.mov

I am having problems with .MOV files from my Nikon 5100.

They play very choppy.  Multicam REALLY has issues with the .MOV files as it will play ten frames and freeze.  Usually crashing Premiere altogether.

Anyone know how to optimize my system to play these .MOV files so the can be worked with?  I've updated my videocard firmware and Quicktime.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 13, 2012 3:12 AM   in reply to Boumr2280

Anyone know how to optimize my system to play these .MOV files so the can be worked with?

The logical steps would probably be:

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to Boumr2280

What codec is it using?

From what I looked up it appears that it's using h.264 using long GOP format.  What are your system specs? Because h.264 that is in a long GOP format isn't easily edited on certain systems.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 4:03 PM   in reply to Boumr2280

MOV is just a format. Codecs decide the load on the system and in editing hosts that load raises significantly depending on the host. Stating a very old system could play an MOV file means nothing in the Codec world of today. What Harm was trying to say was get these files out of QuickTime so as not to use the 32bit QuickTime server at all when dealing with these files in Adobe. It is a valid point and test considering there is very little info in your post that describes system specs. BTW CS5 and CS6 have completely different caching models for the codecs so stating it worked fine in CS5 once again does not help much.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 6:38 PM   in reply to Boumr2280

>don't know how

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... a screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 9:04 PM   in reply to Boumr2280

With these specs, I repeat my first suggestion: Get a better PC. This one is underspecced.

This HP is at least 50 - 60 times slower than a fast system and with the codec in use you need a much faster system with much more horsepower. Keep in mind that a one hour export on a fast system will mean 60 hours of export time on this HP.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 11:11 PM   in reply to Boumr2280

I know this is an older thread, but I used Bridge to Batch Rename my .MOV extensions and it worked well.  I still get the yellow line, but the playback is smooth.

CS 5.5

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor, 3100 Mhz,

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    16.0 GB

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers