Skip navigation
MadsKlitgaard
Currently Being Moderated

Help with table column strokes

Aug 13, 2012 4:04 AM

Tags: #table #stroke #cell

Hi,

I'm in the middle of creating a price list and we've been brainstorming some pricelist ideas.

We've finally come up with one we want to use, but I simply cannot get the table strokes to do what i want them to do.

I've attached an image of how we want the table to look.

table_test.jpg

As you can see the column strokes are not full length of the cell, but how do I format the table function to do this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 13, 2012 4:44 AM   in reply to MadsKlitgaard

You'll to put a "buffer" row between each row.

Then select that row between the rows and choose Split Cell Horizontally - (to keep the automatic fill)

It's not automatic and I imagine very tedious.

tables.png

Let me think about this a bit more

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Or for the text you could apply a Rule Above and change the indents to suit

This would be more automatic - it will allow you to retain automatic fills, and you can apply these directly with a paragraph style.

You can also apply the row stroke to each separate row in the styles - if you're using styles

tablesrules.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

@Eugene – I'd rather use the "Bullets and Numbering" feature of a paragraph style. You can add the character  "|" (Vertical Line) as custom bullet and formatting that with  a character style where you scale vertical to about 150% and fill color "[Paper]" and a little baseline shift if you like.

If you are using "Rule Above" for paragraph styles, you cannot easily change column widths of the table without adjusting "Right Indent" values…

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 3:06 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

If you are using "Rule Above" for paragraph styles, you cannot easily change column widths of the table without adjusting "Right Indent" values…

@Eugene – I have to correct myself: it is quite possible to use "Rule Above" without defining a specific value for "Right Indent". We could leave that  value to "0", if we define a custom stroke style and use that instead of the predefined "normal" one.

See the following screen grab from the German forum "HilfDirSelbst". The suggestion is made by Kai Rübsamen. A very clever solution to a similar problem that can easily be applied in MadsKlitgaard's situation:

http://www.hilfdirselbst.ch/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;posta tt_id=6418;

The length of the pattern could be the page width or larger, so it would not repeat itself by any chance, if the cell widths vary.

Length (Länge): 0.5 pt (line width)

Pattern Length (Länge des Musters): 300 mm

Corners (Ecken): None

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 3:34 AM   in reply to Laubender

(Uwe, that part of the forum requires registration. Here is a copy of the image:

Bildschirmfoto%202012-08-16%20um%2011.11.08[1].png

)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 5:10 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

@Jongware – thank's for helping out. I wasn't aware of this 'cause I'm always logged in…

Uwe

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points